Search This Blog

Thursday, 18 April 2013

The Descendants/Family of Joseph and Agnes Stewart of Crossnacreevy, Moneyreagh

This post is the beginnings of the family tree of the descendants of Joseph and Ann Stewart of Crossnacreevy, Moneyreagh, Co. Down.   I'll add more to it later....
More details here though:

The Hearts of Steel Memorials:
The Stewarts of Moneyreagh first appear in the Hearts of Steel Memorials of 1771 - 1772. The Hearts of Steel was a Protestant Agrarian protest movement set up to fight against the re-letting of farms in Antrim; the agrarian unrest later spread to other counties.  Those who abhorred the subsequent violence signed lists of protest known as the Memorials, which were published in the Belfast Telegraph.  These were the Stewarts of Moneyreagh who signed the petition:
Neven Stewart
John Stewart x 4
Simon Stewart
Alex. Stewart x 2
Arch. Stewart
Sam. Stewart
And. Stewart

Freeholders' Records:
The 40-shilling freeholders either owned or leased land worth more than 40 shillings; this entitled them to vote. They held the lease for either the length of their own life or for the length of three other lives which are named in the lease.  I accessed these records for free on the PRONI website.
1769:  James Stewart, John Stewart,William Stewart, all of Crossnacreevy.  All three of these men appear on headstones in the Moneyreagh graveyard.
In the same Freeholders lists, we find the name  Robert Stewart of Crossnacreevy mentioned in 1813, 1814 and 1824.

From Moneyreagh Graveyard:
 'Here lieth the body of John Stewart of Crossnacreevy who departed this life 27th of August 1795 aged 72 years.  Here resteth the remains of the late William Stewart of Crossnacreevy who departed this life the 19th of June 1813 aged 83 years. Also the remains of his wife Elizabeth Stewart alias ALLEN who departed this life the 17th of February 1814 in the 73rd year of her age. Here lieth the body of Ann Hill alias Stewart who departed this life the 27th of June.'

'Underneath is interred the remains of the late James Stewart of Crossnacreevy who departed this life the 7th day of May MDCCCIII, aged 83 years.  Also his wife Margaret Anderson who died April 3rd aged 87 years (undated).'

Dates for the above Stewarts:
John Stewart (1723 - 1795)
William Stewart (1730 - 1813) + his wife, Elizabeth Allen (1741 - 1814).
Ann Stewart, née Hill (age unknown.)
James Stewart (1720 - 1803) and his wife, Margaret Anderson (age unknown.)

Joseph and Ann Stewart, our great-great-great grandparents:
The online searchable catalogue for PRONI in Belfast notes the existence of a document about several Stewarts in Crossnacreevy, dated 1821.  The document title mentions the following residents of Crossnacreevy:
  • William and Ann Stewart.
  • Robert and Agnes Stewart - a Robert Stewart of Crosnacreevy (sic) married Miss Wallace of Moss-side near Moneyreagh in 1809. This from 'Saunders Newsletter' of 27th April 1809. In January 1826, flax premiums were paid to G. Wallace of Ballykeel, Comber, and to J. Wallace of Ballybeen, Comber in 1825.  On 26th November 1836, Rev. Fletcher Blakely, Unitarian minister of Moneyrea, married Samuel Nelson Junior of Moneyrea and Miss Margaret Wallace of the same place. ('Belfast Commercial Chronicle', 30th Nov. 1836.)  In October 1833,  Rev. Fletcher Blakely married Mary Wallace, eldest daughter of Francis Wallace of Moneyrea, and Alex Johnston of Belfast. On 7th July 1844, Mr. Francis Wallace, formerly of Moneyrea, died aged 84 at his residence in Belfast.  These nuggets from the papers of the day. I wonder was this Francis Wallace the origin of the name 'Francis' which entered the Stewart family of Crossnacreevy at this time?
  • Joseph and Ann Stewart.  (These were possibly our immediate ancestors, although the Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy, from whom we descend, was known to be married to a woman named Agnes. Ann Stewart, noted here in 1821, might be a first wife of our Joseph;  alternatively, this Joseph and Ann Stewart of Crossnacreevy might well be the Joseph Stewart who later farmed and settled at neighbouring Gransha, Moneyrea, and who was probably related to the Crossnacreevy Stewart family.)
The Tithe Applotment Books for The Parish of Comber, 1835:
Lisleen - Samuel Stewart, 11 acres
Ballymaglaff - Alexander Stewart, 18 acres
Moneyreagh - No Stewarts
Ballykeel - Joseph Stewart and William Madole (McDowell) together, 31 acres
Gransha - Joseph Stewart 14 + 6 + 15 acres
                  Francis Stewart, 7 acres (Francis Stewart of Granshaw, Comber, made his will which was granted, on 30th October 1838. to Margaret Stewart, alias Patterson. A Patterson family lived in Moneyrea - a Joseph Patterson was noted there in 1839, while a William Patterson died aged 73 in 1843.)
Clontonakelly - Andrew Stewart, 22 acres
                      The Misses Stewart - 33 acres
Crossnacreevy - Joseph Stewart, 6 acres
                           William Stewart, 15 acres
                           Robert Stewart, 23 acres

Joseph Stewart (1793 - 1876) of Crossnacreevy was our great-great-great grandfather.  In 1821 a Joseph and Ann Stewart were noted as living in Crossnacreevy;  the Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy, from whom we definitely descend, was known to be married to a woman by the name of Agnes.

The 1821 Census noted a Joseph Stewart of Comber, aged 26, and also a second Joseph Stewart  of Newtownards whose age wasn't recorded - we know there were two of them, one in Crossnacreevy, the other next door in the neighbouring townland Gransha, both probably related.

Joseph Stewart was also recorded in the Tithe Books for 1835, farming alongside William and Robert Stewart in Crossnacreevy.  According to his death registration document, he lived from 1793 until April 10th 1876, dying in Crossnacreevy with his son John Stewart present at his death.  His wife, Agnes Stewart, was still alive at this point.
Agnes Stewart (1794 - 1878), widow of Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy, died aged 84 on 30th August 1878 ('Belfast Telegraph', 31st August 1878).

Earlier, on 21st November 1871, a Joseph Stewart joined Masonic Lodge No. 556 in Moneyreagh. This was either Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy or Joseph Stewart of neighbouring Gransha.

The Northern Ireland Family History Society has published online a list of mourning cards from County Down, some of them written by the Stewarts of Crossnacreevy and of neighbouring Moneyreagh.  One of these commemorated the death of our direct ancestor, Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy, who died on 10th April 1876, and who was buried in Moneyreagh graveyard on 12th April 1876 - his wife was named as Agnes Stewart.

Joseph's widow, Agnes Stewart of Crossnacreevy, died there on 31st August 1878 and was buried in Moneyreagh burying-ground by her son John Stewart on 1st September 1878.    One of the sons of Joseph and Agnes Stewart was Robert McKitterick Stewart which leads me to believe that Agnes, wife of Joseph, might have been a member of the McKitterick family who farmed in neighbouring Lisleen, Moneyreagh, but, as of yet, I have no proof to support this theory other than Robert Stewart's middle name.  Her oldest son was named as William A. Stewart, which might also give a clue as to her family name;  William's middle name, however, has yet to be uncovered.

Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy not only farmed, but also ran a shop.  The 'Northern Standard' of 9th February 1847 noted that, along with about thirty other unlucky individuals,  Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy was fined 2s.6d. for having illegal weights and measurements in his shop.

Griffiths Valuation of 1863 showed Joseph Stewart leasing a house, shop, outhouses and 7 acres of land in Crossnacreevy, Moneyreagh, on the main Crossnacreevy to Killyleagh road.  Closeby his property William McDowell, who had been farming in partnership with him in 1835, was leasing 8 acres. Both men can both be found in the neighbouring townland of Ballykeel - Joseph was leasing 16 acres of land but no house which seems to suggest that this is the same Joseph Stewart of neighbouring Crossnacreevy. William McDowell was here again in Ballykeel, leasing a caretaker's house and 16 acres of land.

Following Joseph's death in 1876, his son, John Stewart, applied for a temporary transfer of the Escise Licence to sell beer, wine, cider and spirits, which were to be consumed on the premises in Crossnacreevy.  The premises in question were at present licensed in John's late father's name, ie Joseph Stewart. ('Belfast Telegraph', 26th May 1876'.)

Francis Stewart of Crossnacreevy:

On 19th January 1841, Francis Stewart of Crossnacreevy married Catherine Anderson, the only daughter of William Anderson of Crossnacreevy.   The couple were married by Rev. Henry Haslett who ministered at this time in the Castlereagh Presbyterian Church immediately north of Crossnacreevy.   The marriage announcement in the Belfast Newsletter named Francis Stewart of Crossnacreevy as the son of an older Francis Stewart.

In 1863  Francis Stewart of Crossnacreevy was leasing 27 acres, a house and outbuildings, and subletting two houses to James Floyd and William Anderson, William Anderson being a possible relation of his wife's.

A William Stewart of Crossnacreevy died aged 89 on 5th November 1851. ('Belfast Newsletter', 7th November 1851.)

As noted earlier, the elder Francis Stewart of neighbouring Gransha made his will in 1838 and this was on 30th October 1838 to Margaret Stewart, alias Patterson.  There are deeds in the Registry of Deeds in  Henrietta Street relating to this Francis Stewart of Gransha or Granshaw, Comber. I might be confusing two neighbouring Francis Stewarts here - Francis of Crossnacreevy and Francis of Gransha, or they might be one and the same individual.

Deed 1837-22-49 records that Francis Stewart, farmer of Gransha, and Margaret Stewart, spinster, made over land in Gransha to Joseph Stewart, farmer of Gransha, on 1st March 1830.  Deed 1837-22-163 records the sale of land in Gransha on 1st December 1837 by Joseph Stewart of Gransha to Rev. James McCulloch or McCullock.
A later deed was deed 1839-3-157 which was a deed of conveyance dated 29th January 1839, whereby Robert Petticrew of Gransha and his wife, Margaret Patterson, alias Stewart, were selling land to Rev. James McCulloch, including a parcell of land that had once belonged to Francis Stewart, deceased.  This land was to be held by Rev. James McCulloch and his heirs for the natural life of Elizabeth Fulton, otherwise Stewart.  This was witnessed by John McCulloch.

A Francis Strewart, joined the Moneyreagh Masonic Lodge on 24th May 1834, (along with the James Stewart of Crossnacreevy who follows), but was excluded, then readmitted in December 1841.

James Stewart of Crossnacreevy:
James Stewart of Crossnacreevy married, in 1844, Nancy Betty Somersides of Crossnacreevy.
It is interesting to see that, on 27th July 1850, in the Meeting House, Moneyrea, the marriage of the Crossnacreevy schoolmaster, James Floyd, son of James Floyd, to Jane Ellen Somerside, daughter of John Somerside of Crossnacreevy.    Francis Stewart was subletting a house to James Floyd of Crossnacreevy, while James Stewart of Crossnacreevy married Nancy Betty Somerside.

The membership registers of the Grand Lodge of the Freemasons of Ireland (1733 - 1923) are now accessible via, and these record a Francis and James Stewart both joining Moneyreagh Lodge No. 556 on the same day, 24th May 1834.

The 'Northern Whig' of 20th July 1844 reported that James Stewart of Crossnacreevy and Hugh Nelson of Gransha had been selected by the 'Society for the Promotion and Improvement of the Growth of Flax in Ireland' to visit neighbouring farmers and instruct them on how best to cultivate flax.

 James Stewart and Ann Eliza Somersides (ie, Nancy Betty Somerside) baptised an adopted daughter, Annie Eliza Stewart, in Comber Non-Subscribing/Unitarian Church on 9th October 1861. A note in the margin of the register was added: 'Mrs. Annie E.Boyd of 87 Sidney Street, West Belfast, 1884.' However, whoever had written the note in the margin might have got the wrong Annie Eliza....a quick scroll through the PRONI Street Directories shows up a flaxdresser, James Boyd, living at 87 Sidney Street West in 1884. He appears on  the 1901 census living at 16 Sixth Street with wife Annie Eliza and with six children - Grace Boyd aged 18, Martha Jane Beverland Boyd aged 14, William James Boyd aged 11, Agnes Boyd aged 8, James Boyd aged 5 and Edward Brown Boyd aged 2 who would die at 16 Sixth Street on 6th July 1901 and who was buried in Belfast City Cemetery.   The civil marriage registration of James Boyd, who married in Belfast on 19th May 1882, reveals that his wife was Annie Eliza Lindsay of 55 Dundee Street, Belfast, the daughter of William Lindsay.  Wherever Annie Eliza, the adopted daughter of James Stewart and Ann Eliza Somersides, had disappeared to, she certainly wasn't the woman who married James Boyd and who was living at 87 Sidney Street.

The 'Belfast Newsletter' of 8th July 1848 reported that Joseph Stewart and John Somerside, both of Crossnacreevy, were amongst the attendees of a meeting in Comber to discuss the upcoming Landlord and Tenant Bill.

(There are records relating to the children of John Somerside/Sommersides of Crossnacreevy - the family used a variety of spellings of their name.
'The Belfast Newsletter' of 16th November 1838 noted that Rev. Fletcher Blakely of Moneyreagh married Robert Somersides of Crossnacreevy and Elizabeth McCullough of Moneyreagh on 12th November 1838.  Robert might have married again, although perhaps there were two Robert Somersides at this time - on 3rd June 1850, Robert, son of John Somerside, married Catherine, the daughter of Robert Smith.  Although the date wasn't noted, Robert Somerside of Crossnacreevy was buried in Moneyreagh by his wife Catherine - this according to the index of mourning cards held by the H.I.F.H. society.
The son of Robert Somerside of Crossnacreevy was Matthew Somerside, who had been born circa 1845 in Ireland, and who married Sarah Jane Polley, the daughter of James Polley of Ballycreely. The wedding took place on 9th June 1873 in York Street Non-Subscribing/Unitarian Church in Belfast, the same church used by two of the children of Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy.  Matthew and Sarah Jane moved to Glasgow where he worked as a spirit shopman - their children were Sarah Jane born 1875 in Glasgow, Robert J. Somerside born 1877 in Ireland and Elizabeth born in Glasgow in 1879 and who died aged 7 at 9 James Morrison Street, Glasgow, in June 1885. A daughter, Margaret, was born in Glasgow in 1882.

On 27th July 1850 in Moneyreagh by the Unitarian minister Rev. Fletcher Blakely, Jane Ellen Somerside, daughter of John Somerside of Crossnacreevy, married James Floyd of Crossnacreevy National School, son of an older James Floyd.  In 1863 Griffiths Valuation showed up Francis Stewart leasing 27 acres, a house and outbuildings, and subletting two houses to James Floyd in Crossnacreevy.

On 1st June 1853, Jane Somerside, daughter of John Somerside, married Francis Aiken/Aicken, son of John Aiken, of Slatady, which is a old townland immediately north of Crossnacreevy on the road leading to Belfast.  The Mormon LDS family history site notes the birth of a Francis Aiken on 17th June 1870 to James Aiken and Margaret Somerside, as well as the birth of a James Aicken in Crossnacreevy on 26th July 1877 to John Aiken and Margaret Somersides.  On 22nd November 1944 at Bethany Cottage, Castlereagh, the death occurred of an Annie Elizabeth Aiken, the 4th daughter of the late Francis and Jeannie Aiken - she was subsequently buried in Moneyreagh churchyard.

The family tree of David McCullough of Ballycreely, Moneyreagh, who emigrated to New Zealand, and which are viewable online via, notes an unnamed member of the Somerside marrying Elizabeth McCullough who had been born in about 1820 in Ballycreely.
John Somerside of Crossnacreevy made a will which was granted on 26th November 1850.
The Northern Ireland Family History index of mourning cards record the burial of Jane Somerside of Crossnacreevy, mother of Arthur Somerside, being buried in Moneyreagh on 15th October 1878.  Arthur's sister, Mary Summersides of Crossnacreevy died on 16th June 1885 and was buried in Moneyreagh two days later.
The 'Belfast Morning News' of 9th August 1880 reported the sudden death of 70-year-old Robert Summersides of Crossnacreevy whilst attending the potato market.)

James Stewart was possibly the son of either Francis Stewart or Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy.

The definite children of Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy, Moneyreagh, Co. Down, were:
  • Mary Stewart (1824 - 1900.)
  • William A. Stewart (1826 - 1881) - The middle name is unknown, but I wonder was he named for his (possible) grandparents, William Stewart  (1730 - 1813) and Elizabeth Allen (1741 - 1814), ie, William Allen Stewart?
  • Robert McKitterick Stewart (1838 - 18th November 1880).
  • John Stewart (1839 - 27th March 1892).
  • Joseph Stewart, our great-great grandfather (1841 -  12th December 1908).

The 'Northern Whig' of 18th November 1872 reported that a Henry Boyce had been charged with the serious assault of 80 year old Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy - Joseph's son, John Stewart, and John's wife, Elizabeth, gave evidence in court.
Joseph Stewart died in Crossnacreevy on 10th April 1876, aged 84. ('Belfast Newsletter', 11th April 1876 - 'April 10th at his late residence, Crossnacreevy, Joseph Stewart, aged 84.)

His wife, Agnes Stewart, maiden name unknown, died a farmer's widow aged 86 in Crossnacreevy on 13th August 1878;  her son John Stewart registered the death.

Our great-great grandparents, Joseph Stewart (1841 - 1908) and Elizabeth Madine (March 3rd 1835 - 1901):
Joseph Stewart was born in about 1841 to Joseph and Agnes Stewart of Crossnacreevy.

At some stage in the 1850s, Joseph Stewart Junior moved  north to live and work in Belfast city, where he married Elizabeth Madine in St. Anne's Church of Ireland church, Shankill, Belfast, on 14th May 1859. This church was just south of Donegall Square and was demolished in 1903 to make way for Belfast Cathedral.  Joseph seems to have converted to the Church of Ireland upon his marriage to Elizabeth, since the Stewart family were primarily Unitarian/Prebyterian, while the Madines of Downpatrick/Killyleagh were primarily Church of Ireland.
Joseph gave his profession as a writing clerk, but would later work as an ironmonger.  Although she was born in 1835, Elizabeth Madine gave her birth year as 1838.  Her father was Robert Madine, a butcher of Killyleagh.  The witnesses to the marriage were Elizabeth's siblings, John and Margaret Madine.

The children of Joseph Stewart and Elizabeth Madine were:

  • Emily Jane Stewart, born circa 1862, died unmarried in 1924 in Dublin.
  • Louisa Helen Stewart, born circa 1863/1864 in Killyleagh, Co. Down, died unmarried in 1951 in Dublin.
  • Mary Ann Stewart born 12th February 1865 - this child died at 11 Arnon Street on 5th August 1865 (as announced in the Belfast Morning News).
  • Robert Stewart (our great-grandfather), born 26th May 1866 at 11 Arnon Street, Shankill, Belfast.  The previous year, Joseph Stewart's sister, Mary Stewart, married Hugh Morrow in York Street Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church closeby, and Joseph acted as witness.  Robert Stewart, the eldest son of Joseph Stewart and Elizabeth Madine, married Rebecca Cuthbert on 18th August 1896 in the Church of Ireland church of St. George on Cathal Brugha Street, Dublin.  Their first child, Louisa Helen, named after Robert's sister, was born 15th March 1899, and married  John Thomas Sibbald in Dublin in 1925 - their children were Hazel Sibbald and Leslie Sibbald.   Robert and Rebecca Stewart had a daughter, Vera Maud Stewart, in 1906;  Vera Maud Stewart married the tenor, Robert Irwin 1905 - 1983.   Robert and Rebecca Stewart also had a son, Cuthbert/Bertie Stewart, our paternal grandfather, in Dublin in 1909; he died in Galway in 1976;  he was married to our grandmother, Agnes/Nessie Keating Wilson of Belfast, 23rd November 1905 - 26th March 1965.   The two sons of Bertie and Nessie Stewart were our father, Paul Stewart, born 18th June 1935, and Anthony Stewart, born 19th March 1937.
  • Joseph Stewart, born 9th February 1868 at 88 Ann Street - this child died; the brother of Joseph Stewart, William A. Stewart, ran a hostelry at this time at 92 Ann Street.
  • Mary Elizabeth Stewart was born on 26th August 1870 in Killyleagh where her father, Joseph Stewart, was working as a shop assitant;   his brother, Robert Stewart, had married Joseph's sister-in-law, Jane Madine, and may have been working in Killyleagh also at this time.  Mary Elizabeth Stewart died unmarried in 1945 in Dublin.
  • John Stewart was born on 12th April 1872 at 8 Roundhill Street, East Belfast, where Joseph Stewart was working as an inspector of building works.  (An Agnes Stewart, 1844 - 1889, died at this address, 8 Roundhill St., on 27th November 1889, aged 45; she may be a relation.)  John Stewart (12th April 1872  - Feb. 27 1954)married Mabel McKenzie (21st January 1878 - March 6 1946) on August 2nd 1905 in Monkstown Church.   The couple had Eileen Gladys Stewart on  Sept. 17th 1906;  Norman Hampton Stewart, was born 26th June 1916;  Donald MacKenzie Stewart was born in Rathdown, Dublin, in the latter part of 1912.   Norman Stewart (26th June 1916 - June 7th 2001) married, firstly, Olive May Siggins of Sligo on May 9th 1942, and, secondly,  Margaret Glynne Bowen (9th March 1921 - 23rd November 2008).
  • Catherine Stewart was born on 13th March 1874 in Downpatrick, Co. Down, just south of Killyleagh;  Joseph was working as an ironmonger's assistant. Catherine Stewart died unmarried in 1957 in Dublin.
  • Joseph Stewart (22nd December 1876 in Saul Street, Downpatrick - 1956).  Joseph Stewart married Sarah Kate Barton ( 9th August 1878 -February 9th 1974) in Inishtioge, Co. Kilkenny, on August 5th 1903.  They had Lilian Kathleen Emily Stewart in Dublin on May 13th 1906 - she married John Frederick Leahy in Dublin on Sept. 9th 1930.   A second daughter was Joyce Audrey Wheeler Stewart, born August 18th 1919;  she married  Ernest Walter Hall on 25th January 1940.

Joseph Stewart, ironmonger, may have been in London for the night of the UK 1881 Census - a Joseph Stewart, ironmonger's assistant, was lodging in Hanover Square;  he was Irish-born, married, and gave a date of birth of 1841.

Joseph and Elizabeth moved south to Dublin;  they appear in the Dublin street directories for the first time in 1887 living at 22 Fontenoy Street in Phibsboro, North Dublin.  Living next door was a Thomas Stewart, but I doubt he was related - this Thomas Stewart only appears in the directories in 1887.
Joseph Stewart, ironmonger, stayed at 22 Fontenoy Street for two years before taking up permanent residence down the road at 18 Goldsmith Street. He would live there until his death on 12th December 1908.  At the time of his death, he was working as a commercial traveller.  His wife, Elizabeth, née Madine, died there 7 years earlier to the day, on 12th December 1901.

William A. Stewart (1826 - 1881), son of Joseph and Ann/Agnes Stewart of Crossnacreevy:
One of the most prominent farming families in the Moneyreagh/Crossnacreevy area were the Huddlestons.  In 1844 Robert Huddleston, a poet, published a volume of his works, 'A Collection of Poems and Songs on Rural Subjects.' Included at the end of the collection was a list of subscribers, and these include Joseph Stewart of Gransha, a neighbour of our ancestor, Joseph Stewart, and William A. Stewart of Crossnacreevy.

William A. Stewart  married Margaret Burke in Downpatrick Registry Office on 27th December 1851.  William, the son of the farmer, Joseph Stewart, was a hosteler living at 29 Prince's Street, Belfast, while Margaret was the daughter of a labourer, John Burke, with an address at the time of her marriage in Downpatrick.  The witnesses were William Lascelles, a merchant of Downpatrick,  and Agnes Crothers.

William Stewart can be traced through the Belfast street directories.  Up until 1865 he was at 29 Prince's Street - 'William A. Stewart - eating-house and stabling yard.'I in 1880 he made his last appearance as William A. Stewart at 50 New Lodge Road, which is where his daughter, Jane, was living when she married James M. Orr in 1875;  Ann Street must have been the business address, while New Lodge Road was the family home.

On 26th October 1871,  William A. Stewart witnessed the second wedding of his brother, John Stewart of Crossnacreevy, when John married Elizabeth McGowan of Ballystockart in York Street Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church, the same church where the brothers' sister, Mary Stewart, had married Hugh Morrow in 1865.   They had followed their ex-Moneyreagh minister, Rev. John Jellie, to York Street Non-Subscribing/Unitarian Church who had also recently moved to Belfast.

The children of William and Margaret were born prior to official registration, but Jane was born circa 1855 in Belfast, and her sister, Margaret was born circa 1859.  There was also a possible sister, Agnes Stewart, who witnessed Jane's wedding to James M. Orr, and also a Joseph Stewart, born in 1877.   William's daughter, Jane Stewart, married the Ballymena watchmaker, James Malcolm Orr, and emigrated to Philadelphia - Jane Orr would later be visited by the four daughters of Joseph Stewart and Elizabeth Madine in 1914.

William A. Stewart died under tragic circumstances on 3rd December 1881 at 50 New Lodge Road;  the newspapers recorded that he died from a head wound inflicted with a hammer.  An inquest concluded that he'd committed suicide by fracturing his skull while in a state of unsound mind.
From 'The Belfast Telegraph' of Dec.5th 1881:  'An inquest was held on Saturday on the body of Wm. Stewart, who was found dead with his head broken, in the yard of his house in New Lodge Road that morning.  Evidence was given that, for the past two months, the deceased talked foolishly.  The Coroner described the case as a most extraordinary one.  The jury returned a verdict of suicide, while in an unsound state of mind.'

John Stewart (1839 - 27th March 1892), son of Joseph and Ann/Agnes Stewart of Crossnacreevy:
John Stewart was a farmer, who spent his life in Crossnacreevy, Moneyreagh.
He married Mary Mills in Gilnahirk Presbyterian Church, Dundonald, north of Crossnacreevy on July 9th 1859. Mary Mills was the daughter of a farmer, Robert Mills, who lived in Lisleen townland adjacent to Crossnacreevy.  The witnesses were a friend, Jane Shannon, and Robert Mills who was either Mary's father or her brother.

The couple had a daughter, Esther Jane Stewart, in 1861. She married James Vincent, an engineer of Belfast in Gilnahirk Presbyterian Church on September 24th 1881. She gave her residence as Mountpottinger in south Belfast. Esther Jane Stewart Vincent died in Jan - March 1897.   Esther Jane Stewart and James Vincent had two children - Charles Vincent was born in Belfast in about 1882, and Henry/Harry Vincent in about 1895.   Following Esther Jane's death, James Vincent married a woman named Margaret J.

A daughter, Elizabeth Stewart, was born in 1864 to John Stewart and Mary Mills, but neither Elizabeth or her mother, Mary, appear in any records after this.

John Stewart later remarried. His second wife was Eliza Magowan or Elizabeth McGowan. The couple married on 26th October 1871 in York Street Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church in Belfast city centre;  Elizabeth was the daughter of John McGowan, a labourer of Ballystockart, Comber, Co. Down.  The witnesses were John Stewart's older brother, William A. Stewart, and a Martha Cummings.

The births of three of their children are recorded:
Their first child was born on April 1st 1871. Although he was christened Robert Samuel Stewart, on the census and in his father's will, he is referred to as Robert John Stewart. Robert John Stewart took over the Crossnacreevy farm following his father's death; I doubt he ever married - he appears on both the published Irish censuses.  The Masonic membership records note a Robert Johnston Stewart joining Moneyreagh Lodge 556 on 1st April 1893. and this might be Robert John Stewart of Crossnacreevy, since I can find no further record of a Robert Johnston Stewart.
A daughter, Mariah Lamont Stewart, was born to the couple on Dec. 6th 1873.
A daughter, Mary Annie Stewart - later known simply as Annie - was born in Crossncreevy on June 4th 1880.

Mary Stewart, daughter of Joseph and Ann Stewart of Crossnacreevy:
Mary Stewart, the daughter of Joseph and Ann Stewart of Crossnacreevy,  married Hugh Morrow, a labourer, the son of a sailor John Morrow, deceased, on 13th Sept. 1865 in York Street Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church (Unitarian) in the centre of Belfast. The marriage certificate states that both bride and groom were resident in Crossnacreevy at the time of the wedding.  They were married by Rev. John Jellie who had previously been posted to the Moneyreagh Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church.

The witnesses to the wedding were Joseph Stewart and Margaret McCullough.  This Joseph was either her father or her brother: Joseph Stewart, Mary's brother, and his wife, Elizabeth Madine, were living at the time around the corner from York Street Church at 11 Arnon Street, but their father, also Joseph, may well have travelled north into the city for the wedding.

Mary Stewart and Hugh Morrow had two recorded sons:  Joseph John Morrow was born on 25th Oct. 1866 in Lisleen, one of the Moneyreagh townlands adjacent to Crossnacreevy.
Their second son, Hugh, was born 20th Feb. 1868 in Comber but the registration doesn't mention the exact place of birth.

The records for the family are few and far between, and I can find nothing further on Hugh and Mary, but one of their sons, Joseph John Morrow, crops up on the census for both 1901 and 1911.
 The second son of Hugh Morrow and Mary Stewart, Joseph John Morrow, a postman,  married Minnie J. Allen of Tyrone in 1891 but had no children.

Robert McKitterick Stewart, son of Joseph and Ann Stewart of Crossnacreevy:
Robert Stewart, the brother of Joseph Stewart, married his sister-in-law, Jane Madine, the younger sister of Elizabeth Madine, in Killinchy Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church on July 9th 1860.  Both bride and groom were living in the Madine's hometown of Killyleagh at the time of the marriage and Robert Stewart gave his profession as a mechanic.

There are two Killyleagh Street Directories - for 1877 and for 1880 - and a Robert Stewart appears in both of them as a grocer/engineer on Front Street, the same street where Robert's father-in-law, Robert Madine, worked as a butcher.  Same guy?

The Griffiths Valuation revision books for Killyleagh 1879 - 1884 show Robert Stewart of 41 Front Street crossed out and replaced by Thomas Calvert.

There was also a Robert Stewart mentioned in the lists of Past Masters for the Killyeagh Masonic Lodge 113.  The membership registers for the Irish Masonic Lodges note a Robert Stewart joining on 17th March 1862.
In 1873 he appears alongside another Killyleagh mechanic, Arthur Gordon of Back Street. In 1874, Robert Stewart appears beside John Davidson who was a teacher in the Killyleagh Second Presbyterian school.

The Northern Ireland Family History Society's index of mourning cards lists the death in Killyleagh of a Robert McKitterick Stewart who died in Killyleagh and who was subsequently buried by his wife, Jane, in Moneyreagh burying-ground.    His death certificate shows that Robert McKitterick Stewart, mechanic of Killyleagh, died of heart disease there on 18th November 1880 - present at his death was a Margaret Stewart (his daughter or perhaps the wife of his brother, William A. Stewart?).

'The Belfast Telegraph' of 9th November 1880 held the death notice of Robert M'Kitterick Stewart of Killyleagh, the son of the late Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy, aged 42.

Friday, 5 April 2013

Hugh Burke, cousin of Jane Orr, née Stewart

William A.Stewart, the brother of Joseph Stewart who was our great-great grandfather, married Margaret Burke in Downpatrick Registry Office in 1851.   William and Margaret Stewart's daughter, Jane Stewart, married the watchmaker James Malcom Orr in Belfast in 1875.

Jane Orr, née Stewart,  was known to have a cousin named Hugh Burke.

Hugh Burke was actually Hugh Geddes Burke, born 12th July 1862 in Belfast to a Robert Burke.

He emigrated to the US/Canada aboard the 'Niagara', and arrived at Niagara Falls, New York, on 18th July 1882.  However, he must have returned to Ireland at some stage since, on 25th December 1885, he married his first wife, Agnes Girvan, in Railway Street Church in Lisburn.  At the time of the wedding, Hugh, a bookkeeper, was resident in Ballylesson, Co. Down.  He named his father as a labourer, Robert Burke.  Agnes was the daughter of a pensioner, Richard Girvan, and she was living at Milltown;  the witnesses were John Hyland and Eliza Hyland.

(A Richard Girvan and his wife, Margaret Jamieson, were living in Ballylesson in the 1860s and 1870s;  their children were born there.  Margaret Girvan was born 29th July 1865; William Girvan was born 29th July 1866; Jane Girvan was born 27th April 1869; Richard Girvan Junior was born on 26th November 1872 but died the same year;  an unnamed child was born on 22nd June 1875. These births were published online on the Family Search website, but the Girvan trail goes cold for me at this stage.  Two of the children of Agnes Girvan and Hugh Geddis Burke were sent to live with a grandmother in England, but were sent alone to the US in 1900 following her death.)

The 1891 Canadian Census shows the family of Hugh and Agnes living in Hamilton, Ontario - Hugh Burke, aged 32, was Presbyterian and the manager of a mill.  His wife was Agnes, who had been born in Ireland in about 1865;  she gave her religion as Church of England.
They had three children - Athel/Ethel Burke, who had been born in York, Toronto on 7th August 1887, and who would die aged 9 on 5th October 1896 in Wentworth of tubercular meningitis, William John Burke, born in Wentworth on 27th December 1888, and five-month-old Olive Irene who had been born on 7th December 1890 in Hamilton, Wentworth, to Hugh Burke and Agnes Girvan.

A son, Hugh Courtney Burke was born to the couple in Wentworth, Ontario. on 9th December 1892 - his later military records gives his date of birth erroneously as 10th December 1894.

Son William John Burke, who had been born to Hugh and Agnes in Wentworth on 27th December 1888 in Canada,  died in childhood aged only 9 years and two months of meningitis on 17th February 1898 at 61 Northumberland Street, Belfast.  The child was buried in the family grave in Drumbo and was noted on the headstone as being the nephew of John Burke of Drumbo.

The Canadian records note the death of a Burke infant in Wentworth on 16th August 1897.  The childrens' mother, Agnes Girvan Burke, had died on 13th June 1897, st 33 Reginald Street, Wentworth, Ontario, of pulmonary consumption. She had been a box-maker, and was noted as a Presbyterian.

The family must have been coming and going between North America and Ireland at this time.
From the Pennsylvania Immigration Records, Board of Special Inquiry', dated December 8th 1900:  'State:  Hugh is 7 years and Olive is 9 years old. Their father is Hugh G. Burke and is in Virginia, near Norfolk, working in a saw-mill.   Their mother is dead, and they were born in Hamilton, Canada, then went to live with their grandmother in England, who is now dead and they are on their way to their father.  Are to be met here by their uncle, James Orr.  Jas. Orr calls and states: resides at 2057 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia, is an uncle of above-named children.  Is in the United States 16 years and is an American citizen.  Is in business at the above address.  Says the father of the children wrote him that he should meet them on arrival and send them to him.  Passed by Assistant Inspector Ehilick.'
The corresponding passenger list shows the two young children travelling unaccompanied aboard the 'SS Pennland' from Liverpool to Philadelphia in December 1900.  The manifest states that they had been born in Canada, but that their last place of residence was Belfast, not England.  Their final destination was their father in Norfolk, Virginia, via their Uncle James Orr at Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia.  James Orr was actually married to their father's first cousin, Jane Stewart Orr, but maybe it was just easier to describe him as an uncle.

Hugh Burke moved himself and his family to Knoxville, Tennessee on 1st October 1896, according to his application for citizenship later;  however, in 1900 he was living at Norfolk, Virginia, according to the ship's manifest of the 'SS Pennland'.

In about 1898 he married his second wife, Susan Gray, who had been born in Ireland in about 1866, and who had emigrated to the US in 1879.
By 1910 he was living at 913 North Fifth Avenue, Knoxville, with his wife, Susan Gray Burke, and his three children - Olive Irene, Hugh, and Virginia M. Burke.
By 1912, he'd moved to his permanent address of 1338 North Broadway, Knoxville, Tennessee, where he applied for citizenship - this application was witnessed by his boss, George B. Townsend, the director of the Holston Box and Lumber Company.

His three surviving children in 1912 were named as:
Olive Irene Burke, born December 10th 1892 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Hugh Burke, born 17th December 1894 (according to earlier Canadian records this should be  9th December 1892) in Hamilton, Ontario.
Marian Virginia/aka Virginia M. Burke, born 31st July 1900 in Norfolk, Virginia.   She married the lawyer, Charles Aurin Russell, in Loudon, Tennessee, on 4th October 1918.  In 1920 they were living with his widowed mother, Amelia Russell, in Knoxville.  His sister, Madeline Russell, was living there also and would go on to marry Marcus Armstrong.  In April 1921, Virginia Marian Burke and Charles Aurin Russell had a son, Burke Aurin Russell, who would die in Tennessee on 17th May 1984.

The 1920 Census reveals Olive Irene Burke's  husband living with the family at North Broadway, James P. Mitchell,  a salesman for a drugs company who'd been born in Tennessee in 1892. James died at some stage before the next census in 1930.

In June 1917, Hugh's son, named as Hugh Courtney Burke, a bookkeeper at the Holston Box Company,  was drafted into the army in Knoxville.  He survived, and went back to the Holston Box and Lumber Company,  working alongside his father.   The two lived together at 1338 North Broadway.

Passenger lists record Hugh G.Burke travelling back and forth from Europe to North America in the 1920s.  In 1927 he sailed from Southampton to NYC aboard the 'Lancastria', and gave his home address as 1338, Knoxville, Tennessee.   In July 1929 he travelled from Belfast to Montreal on the 'Minnedosa', having stayed in the Grand Central Hotel in Belfast.  He travelled from Belfast to NYC in 1935 aboard the 'California'.

Hugh Geddis Burke died in 1949 in Dade, Florida, while his son, Hugh C. Burke, died in May 1978 at 37919 Knoxville.

On April 9th 1932, the above Hugh Geddis Burke departed Glasgow aboard the 'Anchor', heading for New York following a visit home to Belfast. He was a manufacturer aged 69, and his last address in the UK was given as 56, Rainey Street, Belfast,  which was the home of William John Burke and his family;  William John Burke was a close relation of Hugh Burke, although it's unclear as yet exactly how they relate accurately.  Perhaps they were cousins?  Hugh was the son of Robert Burke, while William John was the son of James Burke.

William John Burke had been born in Co. Down in 1863 to James Burke and Eliza Stewart and was therefore a contemporary of Hugh Geddis Burke. (This James Burke was the son of John Burke, as was Margaret Stewart, the wife of William Stewart.)

John Burke (1796 - 1867) of Leveroge, Drumbo, Co. Down:
Circumstantial evidence points to John Burke  (1796 - 1867) of Leveroge, Drumbo as being the father of Margaret Burke who married our William A. Stewart in Downpatrick in 1851.   Margaret Burke Stewart was known to be a cousin of Hugh Geddis Burke, who was the son of a Robert Burke of Drumbo, Ballylesson, Co. Down.
Leverogue/Leveroge is one of the Drumbo townlands, immediately south of Lisburn, and connecting with the townlands of Mealough, Ballycowan etc.     Griffiths Valuation shows John Bourke/Burke leasing a house in Leveroge from Hugh Geddes who is most likely a relation, given the use of this name by the Burke family. (Also present in the same townland of Leveroge were John and Josias Geddes.  A James Geddes of Leverogue, Drumbo, made his will in 1870, and confirmed that he was the father of Hugh and Josias Geddes.)
John Burke of Leveroge was married to a woman named Jane whose family name is as yet unknown. They were both buried in Drumbo Parish churchyard - John Burke died aged 71 on 9th June 1867;  his wife Jane died aged 70 on 10th August 1868.  (The burial records for the Burkes of Drumbo have been published online via the excellent Ros Davies.)

The (possible) children of the above John and Jane Burke of Leveroge, Drumbo, Ballylesson, were:

a)  A William Burke, born 1827, the son of John Burke, married Ann Jane McClave/McCleave/McCleve in Drumbo on 26th May 1849.  Ann Jane was the daughter of a Robert McClave or McCleve.  I can find no further online information on this couple.

b)  Margaret Burke, born circa 1831, who married William A. Stewart, the brother of our great-great grandfather Joseph Stewart of Crossnacreevy and of Dublin, on 27th December 1851.  The wedding certificate of Margaret Burke and William A. Stewart names her father as John Burke. Her daughters were Jane Orr and Margaret Stewart who emigrated to Philadelphia and who named Hugh G. Burke of Ballylesson as their cousin.

 c)  James Burke, born circa 1834, who married Eliza Stewart in Ballycairn Presbyterian Church in Drumbo, Co. Down, on 19th January 1861 - James was a 27-yr-old weaver living at Leverogue, son of John Burke, while Eliza Stewart, the daughter of a shoemaker named William Stewart, lived at Tullycarn, Lessan, which I presume is Ballylessan, Drumbo.  Were William and Eliza Stewart related to William Stewart, son of Joseph and Ann Stewart of Crossnacreevy, who married Margaret Burke, daughter of John Burke, in 1851?
The witnesses to the wedding of James Burke and Eliza Stewart were Hugh Willis and John Russell.

William Stewart, the shoemaker father of Eliza Stewart who married James Burke in 1861, was leasing a house and 7 acres in the nearby townland of Ballymullan, Blaris parish, just south of Lisburn.  There were other Stewarts farming alongside him - Thomas Stewart, who made a will in 1870, and his brother James. I know of no link between this Stewart family and my own Stewarts of Crossnacreevy, Co. Down.

James Burke (1834 - 11th May 1899) and his wife, Eliza Stewart (1833 - 10th December 1915) were buried together in Drumbo Churchyard.  The headstone confirms James Burke as the son of John and Jane Burke.  When Eliza Burke died in December 1915 in Ballylesson, her daughter, Eliza J. McDonaldson of 27 Ballyclare Street, Belfast, was there.

The children of James Burke and Eliza Stewart were:
  • William John Burke, later of 56 Rainey Street, born 1863, with whom Hugh Geddis Burke stayed on one of his many visits home from Tennessee to Ireland. See further info below...
  • Mary Margaret Burke, 1864 - 1940, who married a millworker James McDowell, son of a fireman Samuel McDowell,  in Drumbo Presbyterian Church on 13th November 1885; the witnesses were her older brother William John Burke and his soon-to-be wife, Emily Canning.
  • Sarah Jane, born 1866.
  • Eliza Jane, born 5th May 1870. She married a blacksmith, Thomas Gray, son of Alexander Gray, blacksmith of  Ballylesson, in Drumbo on 26th July 1888; this was witnessed by Charley Beers and Minnie Wilgar.  Thomas Gray died young and she then married George Donaldson on 2nd March 1895 in St. Luke's, Belfast.  He was a weaver of Ballylesson, the son of William Donaldson;  this wedding was witnessed by Mary and James McDowell. This young family were living at 134 Snugville, Belfast in 1901, although their 6-yr-old daughter, Jamesina Donaldson, was staying with Eliza Jane's widowed mother, Eliza Burke, née Stewart,in Ballylesson.  A son, William John Donaldson, died of meningitis at 14 Ballyclare Street, on 14th August 1914. By 1911, the family included 10-year-old Mary Donaldson and 2-year-old George Donaldson.
  • Sara Annie, aka Annie, born 6th November 1877 in Ballylesson, she married Matthew Jackson, a weaver of Ballylesson, the son of James Jackson, in Lisburn on 14th November 1896.  Her sister, Eliza Jane Donaldson, and brother-in-law, George Donaldson, were the witnesses.  Annie Burke and Matthew Jackson settled in Ballylesson where they had Elizabeth, James, Emily, William John and George. 
  • Emily Cannon/Canning Burke, born 1883 - in 1901 she was living in Ballylesson with her widowed mother, Eliza Burke;  on rd October 1912 she married James Moreland, son of William Moreland, in Drumbo Church, Ballylesson. The witnesses were William J. McDowell and Lizzie Johnston.  Emily Moreland died young three years later on 5th July 1918 and was buried in Drumbo Churchyard alongside her uncle John Burke of Ballynahatty, Ballylesson.  
The oldest son of James Burke and Eliza Stewart, William John Burke, married the Scottish-born Emily Canning, the daughter of a tailor, Alexander Canning, in Drumbo Presbyterian Church on 3rd May 1885;  the witnesses were James McAvoy and Margaret Crothers.  (Of interest - the 1851 wedding of William Stewart and Margaret Burke in Downpatrick in 1851 was witnessed by an Agnes Crothers. This may just be coincidence....)

William John Burke was a carpenter/packing case maker, just as Hugh G. Burke's first wife, Agnes Girvan, had been earlier.
 In 1901 he was living at 56 Rainey Street, Belfast, with his Scottish-born wife, Emily Canning.
Their children were:
  • James born 4th February 1890 in 56 Rainey Street; Eliza Burke of Ballylesson was present at the birth according to the civil registration. James married Jane Ellen McCarthy on 8th November 1911 in St. Anne's Church of Ireland, Shankill, Belfast - the witnesses were David A. Gilmour and Mary Ann Hartin. James Burke died 4th November 1965.  Jane Ellen had been born on 21st June 1893 in Co. Down to Moses McCarthy and Margaret Brown.   James Burke and Jane Ellen McCarthy had William John Burke (1912 - 1994) and Emily Burke (1915 - 1973).
  • Elizabeth Burke was born at 56 Rainey Street on 3rd April 1892;  on 14th December 1908, she died aged 16 of TB, a handkerchief cutter of 56 Rainey Street.
  • Jane Burke born 21st November 1893 at 56 Rainey Street.
  • Ellen Canning/Cannon Burke was born on 28th May 1896,  but she died of TB aged 10 on 1st June 1906 at 56 Rainey Street - she was buried alongside her grandparents, John and Jane Burke of Leverogue.
  • Hugh Geddis Burke was born at 55 Rainey Street on 6th September 1899 - this last child was clearly named after Hugh Geddis Burke of Knoxville.  The younger Hugh died at 54 Silvergrove Street, Belfast, on 17th March 1945, leaving a widow Martha Burke.
  • William John Burke Junior, born 1902.
Street Directories:
1892:  William JAMES Burke, carpenter, 56 Rainey Street. (Typo?)
1900: William J. Burke, carpenter, 56 Rainey St.

d) Josias Burke, a resident of Drumbo and son of John Burke, married Jane Shields on 4th February 1860 in Annahilt, Co. Down.  Jane was the daughter of John Johnston Shields or Shiels  This couple had Ann Kennedy Burke in Belfast on 24th March 1865, Agnes Burke in Ballycowan/Ballycoan on 28th March 1868,  Eliza Burke and Sarah Burke on 12th December 1870, and William James Burke on 20th September 1874.  
   Josias or Josiah Burke may have married again following the death of his wife, Jane Shields. A Josiah Burke of Ballynahatty, son of John Burke, married on 12th January 1884 in Drumbo, Mary McKee of Ballynahatty, the daughter of servant David McKee. The witnesses were John and Eliza Heyland. These were probably the same couple, ie, John and Eliza Hyland, who would witness the marriage of Hugh Geddis Burke and Agnes Girvan the following year.  (In Lisburn on 8th November 1872, John Hayland of Ballylesson, son of the weaver Joseph Hayland, had married Eliza Jane Burke, a millworker of Ballylesson, who was the daughter of farmer William Burke.  This was witnessed by Jane Burke and David Moreland.
  The family moved a few miles north to Newtownbreda, where Josiah Burke died aged 69 on 12th August 1908.
   The daughter of Josiah Burke and Jane Sheils, Agnes Burke, married Samuel Browne, the son of factory worker William John Browne, on 23rd December 1892 in Drumbo Church.  At the time of this wedding, Agnes Burke was living in Ballydolaghan.  The witnesses were James McAvoy and Sarah Burke, Agnes's sister.  A James McAvoy also witnessed the wedding of William John Burke and Emily Canning in 1885. (William John Burke was Agnes Burke's cousin.)

e)  John Burke Junior, who had been born circa 1831, and who was buried in Drumbo Church of Ireland churchyard when he died on 2nd July 1903.    On 11th July 1890 in Drumbo, John Burke of Ballynahatty, widower and son of John Burke, married Eliza Cunningham of Ballylesson. This was witnessed by James and Eliza Burke.

(A John Burke, son of John Burke, married Eliza Jane Grey, daughter of William Grey, on 7th May 1859. This might be the first marriage of John Burke of Ballynahatty.  Also, the marriage of a John Burke and an Eliza McKittrick was registered in Newtownards in 1851. Another possible contender.)
When John Burke died in Ballynavally or Ballynahatty, Ballylesson, in 1903, his wife, Eliza, was present.
Buried alongside John Burke (1831 -  2nd July 1903) in Drumbo was his nephew, William John Burke, who had died aged 9 years and two months of meningitis on 17th February 1898 at 61 Northumberland Street and who was the Canadian-born son of Hugh Geddis Burke and Agnes Girvan. John and Jane Burke's unmarried daughter, Lizzie Burke  (1865 - 12th July 1886), was buried there too, as was his niece, Emily Moreland who had died on 5th July 1918.  Emily was the daughter of John Burke's brother, James Burke - she had married James Moreland.

f) Robert Burke, son of John and Jane Burke of Leverogue?  Robert Burke was the father of Hugh Geddis Burke and circumstantial evidence links Hugh's family to the above Burkes of Ballylesson.  I can no further details about a Robert Burke, however, but will include him here as a son of John Burke Senior.  Robert Burke's son, Hugh Geddis Burke, had a son, William John Burke, who died aged 9 on 17th February 1898 and who was buried in the Burke family plot - the headstone named the boy as the nephew of John Burke of Ballynavally/Ballynahatty, Ballylesson. I presume the child was actually the grand-nephew.

Many thanks to the Orr family, especially Astrid Booth, the granddaughter of William Stewart Orr, for sending me the photographs of their Orr/Stewart/Burke ancestors.

Tuesday, 2 April 2013

More Willis/Woolsey Connections...

This post expands on a few Willis/Woolsey connections, primarily through the marriage of Rev. Henry de Laval Willis and Mary Anne Woolsey in 1841.  Henry de Laval Willis was the cousin of our great-great grandmother, Geraldine O'Moore Creighton,  who married our great-great grandfather,  Richard Williams of Eden Quay in 1846.  Geraldine OMoore Creighton's mother was Eliza Willis, the sister of Henry's father, Thomas Gilbert Willis.

Captain John Woolsey was the High Sheriff of Louth in 1826, and was the founder of the brewery in Castlebellingham which employed about 70 people there. He was an early shareholder in the Dublin Steam Packet Company which had been co-founded by Richard and Charles Wye Williams.  He married Janet Jameson, whose father, John, had founded the Jameson Distillery in Dublin.  Captain John Woolsey and Janet Jameson lived at Milesdown/Milestone, Co. Louth.

The children of Captain John Woolsey (son of Rev. William Woolsey and Mary Anne Bellingham) and Janet Jameson were:
  a)  Mary Anne Woolsey (1813 - 1881) who married Major John W. Simmons Smith, of the 14th Light Dragoons, on 25th October 1836.
  b) John Woolsey (1815 - 1819).
  c)  Margaret Woolsey (1816 - 1877), married to Rev. Charles Thornhill.
  d)  William Woolsey (1818 - 1887) married twice. His first wife was Frances Rose Vesey who drowned in the River Clyde following a suspected epilectic seizure in July 1868. William Woolsey married, secondly, Mary Elizabeth Heath Jary, the daughter of the late William Heath Jary of Blofield Lodge, Norfolk.  This second wedding occurred on 11th July 1868 in Blofield Church. William Woolsey ran the family brewery in Castlebellingham with his younger brother John.
  e)  Helen Jameson Woolsey (1819 - 1908).
  f)  Robert Jameson Woolsey (1821 - 1838). Jameson Woolsey died in Rouen, France, of scarlet fever, aged 16 on 6th March 1838.
  g) Frances Hester Bellingham Woolsey (16th August 1823 - 28th September 1838).
  h)  Major General O'Brien Bellingham Woolsey (1827 - 1910).  He married Anna, the daughter of Sir John Walsham of Knill Court, Hereford, in Dinnington, Northumberland, on April12th 1855.  In 1841 he was visiting the family of Robert Jameson of Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland;  here are the details of the census, with notes...
         Head of household:  Robert Jameson, born Alloa, 1772.
         Wife of above:  Helen Jameson, born Alloa, 1776.
         Rev. William Jameson, born Ireland in about 1811. This was the grandson of John Jameson and Isabella Stein;  John Jameson was the founder of Dublin's Jameson Distillery.  Rev. William Jameson married the daughter of Arthur Guinness, Elizabeth.  He died on 20th November 1886 and was noted as being formerly of Biarritz, France, of Hollybrook, Drumcondra and of Roebuck Grove, Donnybrook.
         George Jameson, born Ireland in 1826;  brother of Rev. William Jameson.
         Mrs. Janet Woolsey - O'Brien Bellingham Woolsey's mother, who had been born in Alloa in 1791, and who had married John Woolsey of Castlebellingham in 1812. 
         Helen Jameson Woolsey, born 1821 in Castlebellingham, Ireland, to John and Janet Woolsey;  she later married Rev. William Thornhill, rector of Offord Darcey;  she died in Eastgate, Castlebellingham, on 10th May 1898.  Amongst her children were William Blundell Thornhill born 1858, Eveline Maude Thornhill born 1861, and John Thornhill born 1863.
          O'Brien Woolsey, son of John and Janet Woolsey, born Ireland 1828.
           John Woolsey, born Ireland 1830, see below.
  i)  John Woolsey (1830 - 1887).  He ran the family brewing business along with his older brother, William, and married his cousin,  Elizabeth Lucy Willis.  They were married by the bride's father, Rev. Henry de Laval Willis of St. John's, Bradford, on 5th June 1866. They lived at Castle Cosey, Castlebellingham.
    'In memory of William Woolsey of Milestone, died 11th May 1887, aged 68 years, and his brother, John Woolsey, of Castle Cosey, Castlebellingham, who died 23rd May 1887 aged 56 years. This tablet has been erected in loving remembrance by their employees.'

Thomas Woolsey  (b. 1784 to Rev. William Woolsey and Mary Anne Bellingham in Louth, died Sep 1834)  married Elizabeth Gibson, the daughter of William Gibson, on 2nd August 1813 in St. James's, Clerkenwell, Middlesex.  The witnesses were W. Gibson and Mary Anne Gibson.  The children of Thomas Woolsey and Elizabeth Gibson were all born in London, where Thomas was working in the Admiralty, and baptised in the Old Church, St. Pancras -

  • William Woolsey, baptised 16th November 1814.  He worked in the Admiralty at Somerset House, and never married.
  • O'Bryen Woolsey, born circa 1816.  He also worked as a clerk in the Admiralty, Somerset House.  He had a cousin, O'Bryen Bellingham Woolsey, born to Captain John Woolsey and Janet Jameson in Castlebellingham, Louth.    An 1845 Directory notes two O'Brien Woolseys of the Admiralty, Somerset House, one of them 'O'Brien Woolsey, Junr.'    O'Brien Woolsey's will was proved on 18th September 1857 - his address at the time of his death was 4 Marsden Row, Chiswick. The will named an unmarried maternal aunt, Catherine Gibson, and his younger sister Sophia Frances Woolsey.  The executors were named as his uncle, O'Bryan Bellingham Woolsey and his brother-in-law Rev. Henry de Laval Willis.
  • Mary Anne Woolsey, later wife of Henry de Laval Willis,  born 4th August 1817, baptised 27th August, St. Pancras.
  • Elizabeth Lucy Woolsey, born 26 August 1821 in St. Pancras, London.  On 15th July 1856 in St. Pancras, Middlesex,  Elizabeth Lucy married her first cousin, Theophilus Moon of HM's Customs.  Theophilus' father, also Theophilus Moon, was dead by this time, as was Elizabeth Lucy's father, Thomas Woolsey. The witnesses were Elizabeth's siblings, O'Bryan Bellingham Woolsey and Sophia Frances Woolsey.  (Theophilus Moon Senior had married Isabella Gibson in St Pancras on 29th March 1813. In 1843, a Theophilus Moon was working in the office of the Registrar General of Trading Ships of Britain and Ireland.)
(A potted history of the Moon family, sent to me by a direct descendant of the family, Frank McGuire:  The father of Theophilus Moon, Theophilus Moon Senior, had been born in Liskeard, Cornwall, in 1787, to Robert and Ann Moon;  the Moon family had long had influence in Cornwall,  Robert Moon being the High Constable of the Cornish administrative district named the West Hundred, a post which had also been held by Robert's father, Theophilus Moon.   Theophilus Moon, born 1787, married Isabella Gibson on 29th March 1813 in Clerkenwell, London, and  Theophilus Moon Junior was born on 24th August 1814.  Theophilus Moon Senior seems to have had a falling out with his own father, Robert, and moved permanently to London where he worked as a clerk in the Audit Office in Somerset House;  his health failed, and, when he died in 1834, he left his wife, Isabella, and their ten children destitute - a fund was established to provide for his family, and there was an enthousiatic response to this;  subscribers included Lady Bellingham and T. Woolsey of the Navy Office, who organised several collection on behalf of the Moon family.  Theophilus Moon Junior entered the Customs Office two weeks after the death of his father, and spent his working life there.  He married his cousin, Elizabeth Lucy Willis,  whose mother, Elizabeth Gibson, was the sister of Thoeohilus' mother, Isabella Gibson.  Theophilus Moon and Elizabeth Lucy Woolsey had no children, other than a  stillborn baby born 2nd March 1863.  Theophilus Moon died on 24th October 1885.)

In 1861, Elizabeth and Theophilus Moon were visiting Theophilus's brother, Arthur Moon, who worked for the Inland Revenue, and his sister, Isabella Moon, in Hampstead.
  In 1881 the couple were living at 25 Adelaide Road, Hampstead, with a visitor, a member of the Willis family - a D. Mary Willis, who had been born in Ireland.  By 1891, Theophilus was dead, and Elizabeth Lucy Moon was living at 83 Portsdown Road, Paddington, with her sister-in-law, Isabella Moon, who had been born in Pentonville in about 1819.
Elizabeth Lucy Moon died on 11th February 1906 at 51 Carlton Mansions, Maida Vale;  probate was granted to her nephew, the dentist, William Willis, and to her nephew, the solicitor William Robert Moon.  William Robert Moon had been born in Paddington in 1869 to William and Sarah Augusta Moon.

  • Thomas Frederic Woolsey, born 2nd Dec 1823, baptised 31st December 1823.
  • Sophia Frances Woolsey, born 21st Feb.1828.

Rev. Henry de Laval Willis and Mary Anne Woolsey:
 Rev. Henry de Laval Willis had been born in 1814 to Thomas Gilbert Willis and Deborah Charlotte Newcombe of Portarlington, Co. Laois.  
Henry de Laval Willis was the cousin of our great-great grandmother, Geraldine O'Moore Creighton,  who married our great-great grandfather,  Richard Williams of Eden Quay in 1846.  Geraldine's mother was Eliza Willis, the sister of Henry's father, Thomas Gilbert Willis.

On 16th Oct 1841, in Kilsaran, Co. Louth, Henry de Laval Willis married Mary Anne Woolsey of Castlebellingham, Louth.  Mary Anne's father was Thomas Woolsey of Castlebellingham.  (see above.)

Henry was educated in Trinity College, Dublin, taking a B.A. in 1837, and a D.D. in 1855.  He was noted as the perpetual curate of Portadown parish in 1845 and was appointed to the incumbency of St. John's, Bradford, Yorkshire, in 1850, dying at Crockenhill Parsonage, Kent, on March 31st 1867.
In 1851 the Rev. Henry de Laval Willis and his family were living at 2 Bellevue Avenue, Mannington, Yorkshire.    By 1861 they were resident at Little Horton Lane, Bradford.  Their married daughter, Hester Frances Bellingham, was living here with them when she had her first child, Alice Mary Walker, in 1864.

Rev. Henry de Laval Willis died in 1867, and the widowed Mary Anne Willis moved to Shipton, Christchurch, Yorkshire, where the census captured her with two of her children, Henry Thomas Gilbert, a manufacturer/wool merchant, and Mary D.C. Willis.  Also present in the household was Mary Anne's eight-year-old grandchild, Alice Mary Walker.   In 1891,  the widowed Mary Anne Willis was living in Chlesea with her grandson, Henry de Laval Walker, and his wife Edith.

The children of Rev. Henry de Laval Willis and Mary Anne Woolsey were:

  • Frances Hester Bellingham Willis, born Limerick, 17th November 1842;  baptised there on 17th December 1842 in St. Michael's, Limerick.  Frances was named after her mother's first cousin, Frances Hester Bellingham Woolsey, the daughter of Rev. William Woolsey and Mary Anne Bellingham of Castlebellingham, Louth. 

The younger Frances would later marry, on October 16th  1861,  John Walker, the second son of William Walker and Keziah Wesley Stamp,  of Bolling Hall, Yorkshire.
In 1871, Frances, who called herself Hester F.B. Walker, was visiting her brother-in-law, Arthur Walker, the Vicar of Easton, Somerset.
Hester and John Walker had two children.  Alice Mary Frances Bellingham Walker was born in Kilburn, Middlesex, on 28th October 1864, and baptised by Hester's father, Henry de Laval Willis, in St. John's, Bradford, on 25th December 1864.    In 1893 Alice married George Williamson Walker, a solicitor/assistant commissioner in the Charity Commission, who had been born in about 1863 in Greenock, Scotland, to George Wallace and Mary C. Williamson.  The couple had three children - Hester M.C. Wallace in 1895,  James Stuart Wallace on 6th July 1899, and George H.D. Wallace in 1900.   Alice Mary Frances Wallace died on 1st June 1924 at 6, Scarth Road, Barnes Common, Surrey;   following her death, her husband lived for a time in Egypt, but died on 28th November 1952 at Waterfall Cottage, Kearsney, Dover.
A son, Henry de Laval Walker, was born on 15th April 1867 to John Walker and Hester Frances Bellingham Willis and was baptised by his grandfather, Henry de Laval Willis, in St. John's on 25th May 1867.    Henry de Laval Walker worked later as a marine insurance clerk in London, and, in 1890, married Edith Lucy Verity, the daughter of Major Charles Felix Verity and Elizabeth Ann Godwin of Fulham.
 In 1891 the young couple were living in Chelsea - staying with them was Henry's widowed grandmother, Mary Anne Willis, née Woolsey, aged 71.  I see from the internet that Henry de Laval Walker was the founding editor of 'The Genealogical Quarterly'.
They were living in Willesden, London, in 1922, where Edith Lucy died the same year;  Henry de Laval Walker died in Lewisham in 1938.

  • Elizabeth Lucy Willis, born 1844,  Ireland - she married  John Woolsey of Castlebellingham and Castle Cosey, Co. Louth.  John Woolsey was her mother's first cousin - his father was Captain John Woolsey, her mother's father was Captain John Woolsey's brother, Thomas Woolsey. Elizabeth Lucy Willis and John Woolsey married in about 1865, but Elizabeth Lucy died on 10th November 1870;  John Woolsey died childless on 25th May 1887.
  • Mary Charlotte Deborah, born circa 1845, in Portadown, Ireland. She never married.
  • Henry Thomas Gilbert Willis, born St. Mary's, Lancaster, on 2nd May, 1849.   A wool merchant, on 6th July 1886 in the Parish Church, Marylebone, London, he married Ada Susan Robinson, the daughter of John Robinson, a commercial traveller. At the time, both bride and groom were living at 40 Blandford Square.   The witnesses were an M.H. Alcock and one of the Walker family. (Initials illegible.)  In 1891, Henry and Ada Susan were living in Manningham, Yorkshire. Henry Thomas Gilbert Willis died and was buried on 3rd June 1891, aged 42, at Burley, St. Mary's, West Yorkshire;  Henry's widow, Ada, subsequently married Henry's first cousin, Gilbert de Laval Willis, who was the son of the Rev. William Newcombe Willis and Emily Evans.   Ada and Gilbert de Laval Willis settled in Dublin.
  • Francis William Willis, born in Bradford, York, England, on 23rd February 1851. Known later as William Francis Willis, he practised as a dentist, and proved the 1906 will of his maternal aunt, Elizabeth Lucy Moon.   William Francis Willis married Clara Thomasine Quinn in August 1877.  She had been born in about 1855 in Camden to Thomas Quinn and Mary Anne Cooke, who had married in St. Pancras on May 13th 1843. (Both their fathers, Thomas Quin Senior and Peter Colloton Cooke, were dead.)    The 1911 Census showed the couple living in Hove, Kent, and mentioned they had one living child.   William Francis Willis died at 27 Worcester Villas, Portsdale, Sussex, on 24th August 1918, and his will was administered by his son, Henry de Laval Willis, a major in the RAF, who had been born in Kensington in 1883.  Henry de Laval Willis appeared with his Jersey-born wife, Nina, lodging in 1911 in Kent - he was then a lieutenant in the Royal Marines Light Infantry and had been born in Kensington in 1883.  His wife, Nina Renouf, had been born in 1890, and the couple had married in 1911 in Kensington.  Henry de Laval Willis died in 1948;  his wife, Nina Willis, died on 3rd August 1920 in Portslade, Brighton.
  • Charles Hope Willis, born 1860 in Offerd, Huntingdonshire.  His wife was Lilian Kate Anderson,  born circa 1865 to William and Julia E. Anderson.  The young couple married in Radipole Church, Dorset, on October 31st 1888.  Charles was a Captain and Adjutant in the Royal Marines, living at Walmer, Kent.   There were three witnesses - Julia and William Anderson, and Charles Hope Willis's brother-in-law, Harry Walker.    In 1891, Charles and Lilian were living at 19 Cavendish Road, Portsea, Hampshire, with a one-yr-old son, Charley S. M. Willis, and Charles's sister, Mary C.D. Willis.   By 1900, Charles was away, presumably at sea, and Lilian was living at 9 South Avenue, Rochester, Kent, with her two young sons, Charles, who'd been born in Walmer, and one-yr-old Arthur, who'd been born at Chesnut Road, Kent.   Lilian's parents, William and Julia A. Anderson, were also there. William Anderson had been born in about 1832 in High Wycombe;  his wife, Julia, had been born in about 1839 in Wareham, Dorset.    Lilian Kate Willis died in March 1949 in Bath.