Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 January 2013

The Will of Sarah Oliver, Saint Osyth, sister of Mary Williams



The following is the 1849 will of Sarah Oliver of Essex, who was the sister of Mary Williams, née Oliver, who was the second wife of John Jeffery Williams of Gray's Inn, Middlesex.   There is a possibility that our great-great grandfather, Richard Williams of Eden Quay and Dundrum, was the son of John Jeffery and Mary Williams, therefore Sarah Oliver would be a relation of ours.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/11/john-jeffery-williams-father-of-richard.html

I bought the will from the UK National Archives Discovery website for a small cost of £3.39 sterling.  This website is useful if you have ancestors of English origin;  there also seems to be quite a few Irish wills available, as well as plenty of Huguenot material.  Once paid for, you can download the relevant document immediately which is very satisfying, but only if you get the correct ancestor and not someone with a similar name!

'This is the last will and testament of me, Sarah Oliver of Saint Osyth in the county of Essex, spinster...I give and bequeath unto the Reverend Samuel Farman, late of Peldon, Essex, but now of Layer Marney, Essex, aforesaid, one of my executors is hereinafter appointed the sum of fifty pounds of lawful money of Great Britain for his own use and benefit, provided he proves and acts in the execution of this my will...

...I give and bequeath unto my sister Mary Williams, also of Layer Marney, widow, my executrix, hereinafter named, the sum of two thousand pounds, three per cent consolidated bank annuities for her own sole and absolute use... and I hereby direct that the said Mary Williams will, out of the dividends, interest and profits of the said sum of two thousand pounds three per cent consolidated bank annuities, allow unto Elizabeth Gentry of Saint Osyth aforesaid spinster the yearly sum of forty pounds of lawful money of Great Britain during the term of her natural life, said annuity to commence on the day of my decease and to be payable half-yearly, and the first half-yearly payment to be made six months after my decease...

...I give and bequeath unto my brother, Colonel Thomas Oliver of No. 43 Duke St., Grosvenor Square, Middlesex, and one of my executors...the sum of one thousand pounds three per cent consolidated bank annuities...for his own absolute use and benefit...

...And as to all the rest and residue and remainder of my estate and effects...I give, devise and bequeath the same and every part thereof unto my said sister, the said Mary Williams...'

The will was dated 17th May 1849, and was proved on 3rd September 1855
by Mary Williams, Rev. Samuel Farman and Thomas Oliver in London, following Sarah's death.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2012/11/mary-williams-second-wife-of-john.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.