Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, 14 September 2016

The Wilton Family of Mullingar, Co. Westmeath


I have done extensive research into the Jones family of Dublin, from whom I descend - the earliest member of our Jones family which I could isolate was Patrick Jones Senior, floorcloth painter of 46 Henry Street.
Patrick's eldest son and heir was Patrick Jones Junior, who married in 1818, as his second wife, a Mary Wilton of Mullingar.   This post, therefore, is a brief foray into the Wiltons of Co. Westmeath, and collates what little information I could gather on the family of Mary Wilton.
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/07/jones-family-of-dublin.html

Deed 732-286-499421, registered 3rd October 1818 - dated 29th August 1818, recorded the marriage settlement of Patrick Jones of Bishop Street,  house painter, and Mary Wilton, spinster of Mullingar. Also named were William Blackhall, woollen draper, and Mary's brother, Henry Wilton of Mullingar.
(The 'Treble Almanack' of 1818 noted William Blackhall, woollen-draper, at 22 Parliament Street, Dublin.)

The deed ran as follows: reciting that by indented deed of release, dated 1st June 1778, Redman/Redmond Nowlan did demise to Thomas Gorman Jr. ground and ale house in Big Booters Lane, now Bishop Street, at a rent of £32 per annum - these premises then became vested in the said Patrick Jones, and the estate of Redmand Nowlan became vested in James Corballis, timber merchant.
An annuity of £91 per annum was granted to Mary Wilton out of the lands of Scurlockstown, Co. Westmeath (for three lives - Alex Murray, Mary Wilton and Henry Wilton);  Alex Murray, in order to more effectually secure the payment of said annuity, did grant to Mary's brother, Henry Wilton of Mullingar, the lands of Scurlockstown for 300 years upon the marriage of Patarick Jones and Mary Wilton;  also, at the time of the 1818 marriage, the house in Bishop Street was to be assigned to William Blackhall and Henry Wilton, so that provision might be made for Mary Wilton should her husband, Patrick Jones, die or become bankrupt, or to provide for any children resulting from the marriage.   If Patrick Jones was to die, the trustees could sell the house in Bishop Street;  if Mary died, then the proceeds of the house could go to her children.
Patrick Jones the Elder, father of Patrick Jones Junior, held, at the time of his death, a house in Henry Street.  Patrick Jones Senior died intestate - his son, Patrick, as his eldest son and heir-at-law, obtained the legal right of administration of his father's property and granted and recited said premises in mortgage to Thomas Smart, carpenter on 12th May 1812.
Also mentioned in this deed of 1818 was the earlier marriage settlement of 30th November 1811 whereby Patrick Jones married spinster Mary Anne Stockdale - two daughters had resulted from this marriage, namely Hannah and Ellen Jones.  Following the early death of Mary Anne Jones, née Stockdale, John and Roger Stockdale had gained judgement against Patrick Jones in His Majesty's Court of the King's Bench in Ireland.
The witnesses to the 1818 deed of marriage was John Shaw, apothecary of Dublin, Michael Walker of Clonegar, Co. Meath, Patrick Jones, Mary Wilton, William Blackhall and Henry Wilton of Mullingar.
................................................................................................................................................
William Blackhall, either one of Mary Wilton's trustees in 1818 or a relation of his, was implicated in other Wilton deeds.  Deed 541-407-357750, dated 14th January 1802, had been drawn up between John Wilton of Mullingar, John Rorke of Dublin,  William Blackhall of Stonehall and James Ryan of Co. Kildare. John Wilton granted his land in Ballynakill, Co. Meath to James Ryan.  John Wilton was entitled to the lands of Springfield and Cooksborough in Co. Westmeath, and to a house in Mullingar. The trustees were here named as John Rorke and William Blackhall.

Yet another deed  (398-70-262355) of 3rd November 1787 named both John Wilton Senior of Marktown (or perhaps Martinstown) and John Wilton Junior of Stonehall, both of Co. Westmeath, farmers, and also William Blackhall Senior and William Blackhall Junior of Martinstown, Co.Westmeath, farmers.  The Wiltons here leased land in Stonehall to William Blackhall Jr.

The 'Freeman's Journal' of 4th July 1877 reported from the Record Court in Dublin on a law case, Blackhall v. Gibson, which was an action of ejectment for non-payment of rent of the lands of Blackmills, Co. Westmeath.  The plaintiff claimed under a devise in the will of Henry Wilton, late of Mullingar, who died in 1810.  Blackhall stated that the three children of an older brother of his, and also the childrens' mother, had emigrated to the US in 1835 and that he had only ever had one letter from them. The court found in his favour.  This case was immediately followed by a second, also Blackhall v. Gibson, and again an ejectment for non-payment of rent on lands of Stonehall, and was brought for the purpose of establishing title of the plaintiff who claimed as heir-at -law of his grandfather, William Blackhall of Clongriffin/Clongriffen, Co. Meath who had died there in 1820.
The 'Westmeath Journal' of 15th March 1827 noted that the demesne of Cookesborough in possession of Mr. J. Wilton and his undertenants was to be let.
Stonehall is in Multyfarnham, Co. Westmeath, 17 kms north of Mullingar town;  other townlands named in these Wilton deeds cluster in this same area, namely, Martinstown, Ballynakill, Springfield and Cookborough.

A John Wilton was running a coach service in Mullingar in the 1780s - he advertised this extensively in the papers of the day.  'Saunders Newsletter' of 2nd December 1806 reported that Mr. John Wilton of Mullingar was running coaches everyday between Thomastown and Mullingar, and then on to Longford, and could therefore meet passenger off the Royal Canal which had recently opened  at Thomastown and which now linked this area to Dublin.

Henry Wilton
As noted in the 1818 marriage settlement of Patrick Jones and Mary Wilton, Henry Wilton of Mullingar was named as the brother of Mary Wilton.  Their parents were not mentioned.

A deed (1840-23-244) of 25th November 1840 drawn up between Henry Wilton and Laurence Middleton of Mullingar, noted that Henry was leasing a house and 11 acres in Mullingar to Laurence Middleton for the lives of Andrew Dudgeon, his wife Elizabeth Dudgeon, née Wilton, and Alexander Dudgeon, the 4th son of Ralph Dudgeon of Clones, Co. Monaghan.

'Saunders Newsletter' of 19th February 1817 noted the death on 15th February 1817 in Blessington Street, Dublin, of Elizabeth, wife of Andrew Dudgeon and daughter of Mr. Wilton, late of Mullingar.

'Saunders Newsletter',  4th October 1817, the year before Mary Wilton married the short-lived Patrick Jones of Bishop Street,  ran an advertisement for the letting of 'Wilton's Inn' of Mullingar on the Royal Canal, 60 miles from Dublin.  The future tenant could also lease 50 acres of land adjoining the town.  Application was to be made to either Andrew Dudgeon, solicitor of 22 Blessington Street, Dublin, or to Henry Wilton on the premises.

The 'Westmeath Journal' of 18th March 1824 was advertising the Westmeath Steeplechase, one of whose organisers was Henry Wilton of Mullingar.   He was named as a church warden of Mullingar Parish Church by the 'Westmeath Journal' of 14th July 1825.

The 'Roscommon and Leitrim Gazette' reported on 26th June 1824 that, in Mullingar on 17th June, the house, barn, stables and car-house, half a mile from Mullingar, the property of Henry Wilton of Monte Video, had been maliciously burnt.   Later, on 26th February 1829, the 'Westmeath Journal' reported that Henry Wilton was leasing out his house, Monte Video, five minute's walk from Mullingar.

The Landed Estates Court Rentals put up for sale, on 3rd June 1858, 6 Main Street, Mullingar.  The original lease had been signed on 16th December 1833 from Rt. Hon. Viscount Forbes to Henry Wilton for three lives - namely, Henry Wilton himself, Edward Maxton and William Malcolm Maxton.  Now, in 1858, only two of these were still alive, Henry Wilton, aged about 70 and Edward Maxton now about 35.   Henry Wilton, therefore, had been born in about 1788.

Henry Wilton lived for a time at Monte Video Cottage in Mullingar.

The unmarried Henry Wilton (1788 - 1860) of Montevideo Cottage, Mullingar, and of The Retreat, Finglas Road, Dublin, died on 25th October 1860 - his will was granted to his spinster sister, Ann Wilton of 68 Aungier Street, who died at 2 Peter Place on 23rd September 1866. The 'Clare Journal' also reported Henry Wilton's death, and noted that he had died at Bell View in Finglas.

Henry Wilton of Monte Video had links to the lands of Clonmoyle and Tullanisky, south of Mullingar - the 'Westmeath Journal' of 18th March 1824 advertised the letting of Mr. Wilton's lands of Clonmoyle and Tullimsky (sic), which comprised 254 acres and which was situated 1 mile from Mullingar.  Proposals were to be received by both Henry Wilton of Monte Video and by John Wilton of 3, College Green, Dublin.

These lands of Clonmoyle and Tullanisky were associated with another cluster of Wiltons, who seem to be related.  The first of this second Wilton family, that I can isolate,  was John Wilton of Rathcarn or Rathcane, Co. Westmeath, who had business links with the Williams family of Dublin who were prominent in the glassmaking industry.

John Wilton of Rathcarn/Rathcane, Co. Westmeath:
Deed 324-2-211172, dated 28th February 1777, concerned the sale of land, ie, Clonmoyle and Tullanisky, plus land of Stonestown, all in Fortullagh, Co. Westmeath.  John Wilton of Rathcarn, Co. Westmeath sold a moiety of his share of land, ie, 371 acres, for £500 to John Alderton of Dublin.

These lands of Clonmoyle and Tullanisky were mentioned in the 1783 will of this same John Wilton, which was lodged in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury.  John Wilton was late of Rathcarn/Rathcam, Co. Westmeath, and of Potter's Alley, Dublin.   In his will, which he drew up on 11th March 1783, he named three sons, Thomas Wilton, John Wilton and George Wilton, and also three daughters, Elizabeth Wilton, Rose Wilton and Mary Wilton.  The mother of all six of his children was Mary Neary or Nairy, who had lived with John Wilton for the past 30 years;  he was now adopting the six children, and the will made ample provision for both them and his partner.
To his second son, and obvious favourite, John, he left his share of the lands of Clonmoyle and Tullaniksy which were currently tenanted by a John Jones. Should son John not have any children to inherit this property, then the land was to pass to eldest son Thomas.  Should he have no issue, then it was to go to third son George, and should he die childless, the land was to be sold and the proceeds to be divided between the three daughters and their mother.
His lands of Gortumblo/Gortunloe and Redmondstown, Co. Westmeath, were to be sold by Patrick Mullingan, Dublin attorney, and by William Williams, his business partner, and the said proceeds were to go to Bridget Neary, and, after her death, to his children.  Other land mentioned in the will was land in White Cliff, Hull, Yorkshire, and in Baldonnell, Co. Dublin.
John Wilton also alluded to his co-partnership with Dublin glassmaker, William Williams of The Strand, who was to ensure that his family be supported in a frugal manner after his death and that they should all live together.  He left his house in Potters Alley to Bridget, including his furniture and plate in England, Ireland and France.
A brother was named as Henry Wilton (not the Henry Wilton who was the brother of Mary Wilton, wife of Patrick Jones, but an earlier Henry Wilton), to whom he only left £10, given that this Henry was aged and childless, and that he had already benefitted from a bequest of land from a brother, Walter Wilton, and that he, John, had already assisted Henry in expanding his property.  John Wilton claimed that his brother, Henry, already lived in a state of opulence, and that he, John, wished to provide mostly for his own partner and children  who would have no other means of income.  John also left £10 to his sister Rose Wilton.
John Wilton Sr. of both Rathcarn, Co. Westmeath, and of Dublin, died on 31st January 1786 as confirmed by later deeds drawn up by his grandson in 1832.  His will was finally proved in London on 1st December 1794.
John Wilton of Rathcarn, Co. Westmeath, was the son of Hugh Wilton and Elizabeth Wakely.

John, Henry, Walter and Rose Wilton, had all been born  to Hugh and Elizabeth in Dublin the 1720s.   I wonder was the elderly, opulent Henry Wilton, who was aged and childless in 1783, the same Henry Wilton who died in Westmeath in 1810 and who named William Blackhall under a devise in his will?
The children of Hugh Wilton and Elizabeth Wakely, who had married in 1716, were baptised as follows in St. Mary's, Dublin, although son John Wilton must have been christened elsewhere:

  • Henry Wilton, 5th August 1718.
  • Kathrin Wilton, 17th October 1720.
  • Rose Wilton, 18th April 1722.
  • Elinor Wilton, 17th July 1723.
  • Mary Wilton, 12th November 1724.
  • Walter Wilton, 16th April 1727 - a Walter Winton died in Cashel, Tipperary, in 1763.
  • Thomas Wilton, 4th July 1729.
  • Robert Wilton, 3rd March 1730.

Other Westmeath Wiltons were  John Wilton of Stonehall who died there in 1757 and John Wilton of Stonehall who died in 1792.  I came across a marriage in the 'Marriage Licence Bonds, Diocese of Meath', dated 1787, between a John Wilton and a Bridget Tremble.

The Trinity Records ('Alumni Dublinenses', 1924 edition) name a few Wiltons who all seem to fit into the above family:
Hugh Wilton (father of John, Henry, Walter and Rose?) was admitted to Trinity on 5th October 1711 aged 19, and was named as the son of the nobleman Henry Wilton of Gaulstown, Co. Meath.
John Wilton was admitted to Trinity aged 17 on 6th May 1735, the son of Hugh Wilton, nobleman.  A Hugh Wilton of Rathcane, Co. Westmeath, died there in 1752.
Rose Wilton, a spinster, died in Dublin in 1798, and was probably the sister of John Wilton who made his will on 11th March 1783.

The children of John Wilton and Bridget Neary/Mary were mentioned in deed 528-3-344334, whose date I neglected to transcribe in the Registry of Deeds.  This was a deed of assignment between Thomas Wilton of Dublin, Benedict Hamilton of Harcourt Street, Elizabeth Hamilton, otherwise Wilton, his wife, and widow Rose O'Hegarty, otherwise Wilton, and John Wilton of Dublin.  The deed concerned the lands of Baldonnell, Co. Dublin, which had been named in John Wilton's will of 1783, and which, according to this deed, had been firstly owned by John Preston, and then by John Wilton of Dublin who passed it on to his above-named children.

Three later deeds, drawn up at the same time, late April 1832, continued the story. (Deeds 883-163-5855164, 883-164-588165, and 883-166-585166.)  John Wilton of Rathcarn, Co. Westmeath, then of Dublin, made his will in March 1783.  He left his lands of Clonmoyle and Tullanisky to his second son, John Wilton, so that the profits of this land should stand as a provision for the younger children of John Wilton Jr.
John Wilton Jr. died intestate on 30th July 1830, leaving one son, John Lucas Wilton, Lieutenant in the 70th Regiment, and also four daughters, namely, Amelia, wife of William Henderson, Maria Olivia, Hariet, wife of Robert Power of Bloomfield, Co. Kildare, and Louisa Wilton of Carnarvon, North Wales.   These deeds confirmed that John Wilton Sr. of both Rathcarn, Co. Westmeath, and of Dublin, had died on 31st January 1786.

Captain John Lucas Wilton (1802 - 1867) married Elizabeth Frances Carr in 1834. He died in South Stoneham, Hampshire, in 1867.  Elizabeth Frances Wilton died in Richmond, Surrey, in 1864. They had three daughters, Charlotte Wilton, born in Gibraltar in 1839, Georgina Wilton born in Co. Wexford in 1841 and Louisa Wilton born in Co. Wexford in about 1848.  The UK census reveals the family living in Stockport, Cheshire in 1851.      In 1871 the three unmarried Wilton sisters were living together at 19 Ledbury Road, Paddington, London.



Sunday, 10 April 2016

The Family of Maria Emily Baskin, daughter of Robert Baskin and Kate Ringwood

Our great-great grandmother,  Isabella Anna Pennefather, was the older sister of John Pennefather. This post concerns the family of John Pennefather's wife, Maria Baskin, and of other related families, all of them Methodist.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/07/john-pennefather-and-emily-courtenay.html

John Pennefather and Maria Emily Baskin married on September 12th 1888 in Dublin.  At the time of the wedding, John was living at 132 North Strand Road and was working as a clerk. Maria Emily Baskin was living at 219 Clonliffe Road - her father was Robert Baskin, a gentleman. The witnesses were her brother - Richard Ringwood Baskin and a Laura Owens.

Maria Emily Baskin had been born May 20th 1861 to Robert Baskin (who had been born in 1828) and Kate Ringwood in Dublin.   Kate Ringwood, was the daughter of a Kilkenny farmer, Richard Ringwood;  Kate Ringwood and Robert Baskin married at Erke, Kilkenny on 22nd October 1856.

Maria Emily Baskin's great-grandparents were Oliver Baskin and Elizabeth Haughton who married in 1795. They settled in the Co. Waterford area where they had son William Haughton Baskin on 19th  May 1798 in Kilmacthomas. Other children born to Oliver Baskin and Elizabeth Haughton were Isabella Baskin, born 1795, Mary Baskin who married Robert Thompson in Dublin in 1822, and Robert Baskin who died at age 12.

(A Serjeant Oliver Baskin who had been born in Inver, Co. Donegal joined the army. Find My Past hold the Kilmainham Pensioners British Army Service Records online, and his file notes that Serjeant Oliver Baskin had been born in Inver in 1758 and had served 15 years in the Donegal Militia, but had been discharged in 1800 due to a longstanding liver complaint. This individual might not be the Oliver Baskin who married Elizabeth Houghton in 1795, or he might be a relation, since the largest cluster of Baskins occurs in Donegal.)

The eldest son of Oliver Baskin and Elizabeth Haughton, William Haughton Baskin (19th May 1798 - 18th November 1877).
On 15th May 1821, William Haughton Baskin of Paradise Row (modern name Wellington Street), son of Oliver Baskin and Elizabeth Haughton, married Maria Deaker (1799 - 25th April 1881) of Abbey Street.  Maria Deaker was daughter of  John Dacre/Deaker 1762-1815, and Lydia Margaret Steele 1770ish-1847.

The children of Lydia Margaret Steele and John D'acre/Deaker of Co. Wexford:

1) Alice D'acre (c.1795 - 21st February 1874) who married, on 11th May 1813, George Hipwell (baptised Offerlane, Queen's County 19th December 1791 - 13th January 1829), son of George Hipwell, of Marymount, Queen's County.
(A second Hipwell family, that of William and Ann Hipwell of Ballinrally, was also recorded in the Offerlane Parish Register.)
Alice and George Hipwell settled in Newtownbarry, Co. Wexford where their children were  baptised in St. Mary's Church.
Their only surviving son, John William Hipwell, married, in March 1838 in St. Mark's, Dublin, Maria Caroline, the eldest daughter of Dublin solicitor John Wiber.  
George Hipwell died in January 1829 and his death was recorded in the St. Mary's register in Newtownbarry, as was the death of a Humphries Hipwell in 1831.  Alica, wife of George Hipwell died in Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny, aged 79 on 21st February 1874, and her will was granted to her son-in-law, Miles Sterling of Thomastown.
Anne Hipwell, who had been born in Newtownbarry, Co. Wexford, in May 1827 and who had been christened there in St.Mary's by George and Alicia Hipwell of Newtownbarry, married William Hinton of Grosvenor Road, Rathmines , in June 1859 in Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny.

Margaret Hipwell, eldest daughter of Alicia and George Hipwell of Newtownbarry, married Dr. Miles Sterling of Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny, on 30th December 1840.  Miles Sterling also had strong links to the Deaker and Ringwood families - he reappears later in this post.

2) Richard D'acre (11th July 1795 - 27th May 1861.)

3) William D'acre/Deaker (1st September 1797 - 18th August 1880). William Deaker, a baker, was of Abbey Street in the 1830s and 1840s. He married Sarah Sterling in the Meath Diocese in 1830. When he died on 18th August 1880 at Kenilworth Square, his widow was noted as Sarah Deaker.  When she died in 1897 in Rathgar, her will was probated by William Houghton Baskin, of Lurgan, the son of Maria Deaker and William Haughton Baskin Senior .

In 1865, Elizabeth Deaker, daughter of William Deaker of Kenilworth Square, married James William Levis, son of Samuel Levis of Leap, Co. Cork. The witnesses were Miles Sterling and William Deaker.  William Ringwood of Johnstown, Co. Kilkenny, son of farmer Richard Ringwood, married Alice Sterling of 77 Kenilworth Square, Rathmines, daughter of surgeon Miles Sterling.  The witnesses were Miles Sterling and Richard Ringwood.

The youngest daughter of William Deaker of Kenilworth Square, Rathmines was Sarah Louisa Deaker who married Thomas Bennett, son of Thomas Bennett of Shannon Vale, Clonakilty, in the Wesleyan Church, Charleston Road, Dublin,  on 18th October 1866. ('Belfast Newsletter', 20th October 1866.)
William Deaker died aged 83 at 77 Kenilworth Square, Rathmines, on 18th August 1880.

4) Maria D'acre/Deaker (20th December 1799 - 25th April 1880) who married, in 1826, William Haughton Baskin (19th May 1798 - 18th November 1877).

5) Robert D'acre/Deaker (16th May 1805 - 12th July 1861).  A merchant of Eden Quay involved in both shipping and the wine business.  His estate was settled in the Court of Chancery - this was announced in the papers of the day, and named his widow as Jane Deaker, who was Robert's second wife. His first wife had been Maria Kent, the youngest daughter of William Kent of Aungier Street, who he'd married on 30th March 1842.  He then married Jane, the daughter of surgeon Thomas Underhill of Tipton, England - she died aged 70 on 3rd July 1887 at Edgbaston Road, Manchester. ('Manchester Times', 9th July 1887.)

Robert Deaker's only surviving daughter, Eliza Anne Deaker, married Thomas Edward Owen, surgeon of Devon, on 20th July 1859 in Coolock where the Deaker family settled.  Thomas Edward Owen was the son of Jeremiah Owen and grandson of Welsh-born Jacob Owen, architect of the Dublin Board of Works.  Jeremiah was one of the 13 surviving children of Jacob Owen of Mountjoy Square;  another was Mary Anne Mew who married, on 29th October 1846 in St. George's, Thomas Underhill, surgeon of Tipton.  Robert Deaker of Eden Quay had married, as his second wife, Jane, the daughter of this same Thomas Underhill.

Robert Deaker's son, William Deaker, married Henrietta Lydia, 3rd surviving daughter of Henry Hill of 5 Ventnor Terrace, Cliftonville, late of 65 Avenur Road, Regent's Park, in Hove, Brighton, on 26th August 1867.  ('Dublin Evening Mail', 28th August 1867.)

Robert Deaker died, aged 56, at his residence in Grosvenor Terrace, Rathgar, on 12th July 1861. ('Cork Examiner'', 16th July 1861.)

6) Lydia Deaker (25th March 1808 - 21st December 1882) who married Dr. William Clendinnen in Co. Wexford in 1826.   William Clendinnen was the son of the Methodist preacher, Rev. John C. Clendinnen, who had been born in Co. Down, where the Clendinnen name proliferates, and who died in Bideford, England, on 6th February 1855.  John was the son of James Clendinnen who had moved from Dunfriesshire, Scotland, to Co. Down in the 1750's.  Rev. John C. Clendinnen had married Mary A. on 4th March 1802, and son William had been born in 1804 or 1805 in Skibbereen or Bandon in Co. Cork.
Rev. John Clendinnen moved to Gorey, Co. Wexford, where Mrs. Clendinnen, wife of Rev. John C. Clendinnen, ran a ladies' academy in the 1830s, buth ultimately they settled in Carlow.

Lydia Clendinnen, née Deaker, died aged 75 at Minvaud House, Hacketstown, in 1882.
A son of Dr. William Clendinnen and Lydia Deajer was John Deaker Clendinnen, who had been born on 24th February 1828, in Newtownbarry, Co. Wexford, and who emigrated to Canada in 1855.

Other children of William Clendinnen and Lydia Deaker were Charlotte Clendinnen who married Abraham Harrison, son of Robert Harrison, in Clonmore, Co. Carlow, on 22nd October 1856, Margaret Alicia Clendinnen who married Samuel Hanna, son of Samuel Hanna, in Carnew on 24th October 1852, John Clendinnen who settled at Yarra Yarra, Australia, and whose daughter, Mary Charlotte, married Charles Stevens Reeves on 28th January 1862.  L
ydia Sophia Clendinnen, daughter of William Clendinnen and Lydia Deaker, married Rev. Francis Bettesworth Mollan, the curate of Fiddown, son of Rev. Robert Mollan of Drumgath, in Dublin on 26th May 1880.
On 26th October 1870 in Clonmore, John Wheeler of Carysfort, Co. Wicklow, married Maryanne, the eldest surviving daughter of Dr. Clendinnen of Clonmore Lodge, Co. Wicklow.
On 29th July 1869 in the Scots Church, Adelaide Road, Dr. J.G. Clendinnen, son of Dr. Clendinnen of Clonmore Lodge, married Lizzie, the daughter of James McEntire of Eary, Co. Tyrone.
Another son of William and Lydia Clendinnen was the doctor William Ellis Clendinnen who had been born in 1839 and who practised, first in Cheswardine, then in Stafford where he was the medical officer for health.  An unpleasant individual, he was accused and acquitted of rape in 1870, but was also known to beat his wife, Sarah, who later left him when she saw sense, as dud his children who later emigrated.

7) Margaret d'Acre/Deaker (15th November 1809 - 30th december 1885) who married William Doyle (6th December 1791 - 17th March 1866) on 9th December 1829.

In 1848, juries were put together to try the republican rebels, William Smith O'Brien and Thomas Francis Meagher.  Two of the jurors in the O'Brien case were John Deaker of 21.5 Upper Fitzwilliam Street, gentleman, and William Deaker, baker of 74 Abbey Street.  Robert Deaker of 21 Eden Quay was named as one of the jurors in the Meagher case.

Online research:  Maria Deaker was daughter of  John Dacre/Deaker 1762-1815, and Lydia Margaret Steele Dacre/Deaker 1770?-1847.  Lydia Margaret Steele was from Kyle, Queen's County - her brother Richard Steele had been born there in about 1773 and emigrated to Grenada in the West Indies.   Francis Biddulph (1770 -1826) of Mount Oliver, Queen's County, married Mary Steele, the daughter of Major Richard Steele of Kyle - Richard S. Biddulph, the second son of the late Francis Biddulph of Mount Oliver, Queen's County, married Catherine Matilda, the daughter of Colonel bates of the 21st Light Dragoons, in Kensington in July 1838.

The Steele family of Kyle, Co. Wexford had links to Richard Ringwood, as well as to the Deaker family - in 1852, the Encumbered Estates Court was selling off land leased by Richard Ringwood in Co. Kilkenny, at Rathpatrick and at Bawn.  The original Rathpatrick lease had been taken out on 3rd March 1819 for 197 acres from the Earl of Courttown by Richard Ringwood, for the three lives of Richard Steele, son of John Steele of Kyle, Samuel Ringwood son of William Ringwood of Granige (or Graigue), and William Little, son of John Little of Balliquiddihy.

On 2nd April 1805, Richard Ringwood took out a further lease from the Earl of Courttown for land in Bawn, Co. Kilkenny - the three lives named in this one were Richard Steele, William Jacob and Thomas Steele of whom only Thomas Steele was still alive, aged about 50, in 1852.  

Notes on the Steele family of Kyle, Queen's County...the following births, deaths etc. have been sourced from the Irish Newspapers archive courtesy of Find My Past, and from the National Archives wills calendars.   

Early Steele marriages:
William Steele of Keile (sic), Queen's County, married Charlotte Fielding in St. Catherine's, Dublin, on 21st July 1722.
Anne Steele of Kyle married Thomas White of Donoughmore, Queen's County, on 17th April 1739.

Major Richard Steele  -  in October 1775 Richard Steele of Kyle, married Miss Philips of Philipsburgh, Queen's County. 
 'Saunders Newsletter', 28th November 1821, announced the upcoming sale of the lands of Ballydowell and Coolishill, Co. Kilkenny, which was to be sold following a decree executed in the court of chancery on 27th May 1818, by way of executing the will of the late Richard Phillips the elder.  The two executors of his will were Richard Steele and James Scott. The plaintiffs in the case were Richard Phillips Junior, son and heir of the deceased.
In 1813 the death occurred of the wife of Richard Steele of Kyle. ('Gentlemans' Magazine and Historical Chronicle, Part 1'.)
The death of Major Richard Steele (1744 - 1835), last Major of the Irish Volunteers of 1782, died at Kyle House, in 1835 aged 91.  ('The Pilot', 12th August 1835.)
The 'Dublin Evening Mail'  of 12th March 1845 reported on the case in chancery, whereby the creditors and legatees of the late Richard Steele of Kyle, Queen's County, were named as Richard Steele, John Steele, a second Richard Steele and Jane Steele. 

John Steele of Kyle House, Queen's County:
In 1861 the death occurred of Elizabeth, the widow of John Steele of Kyle Park, and third daughter of the late Hon. Eyre Massey of Queen's County. ('Kings County Chronicle', 3rd April 1861.)  Elizabeth was noted as the aunt of Nicholas Biddulph, who had been born to Mary Steele and Francis Biddulph in about 1803.

The children of John Steele and Elizabeth Massey were Richard William Steele, Hugh Massey Steele, John Steele and William Henry Steele, whose lands of Monanelli or Monelly were put up for sale by the Encumbered Estates Court on 22nd June 1869.   Matilda Frances Steele died 21st February 1859 in Monarelli, with probate granted to her father John Steele of Monarelli.  

The eldest son of John Steele of Kyle House was Richard William Steele who married Hanora Butler, the eldest daughter of Charles Lennon of Tramore, in April 1840. ('Southern Reporter', 28th April 1840.)  Hanora gave birth to a daughter at her father's home in Co. Wexford, in October 1841. 

Hugh Massey Steele, son of John Steele of Kyle House, emigrated to Australia where he married Maria Frost, second eldest daughter of John Frost of Suffolk, England, on 23rd August 1870 in Bowral. The 'Sydney Mail' of 27h August 1870 named Hugh Massey Steele as the 5th eldest son of the late John Steele of Kyle House, and late of Her Majesty's 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars.

There was also a Richard Steele who lived at Ballyredmond or Ballyedmond, Queen's County. I don't know if the Steeles of Ballyedmond were related to the Steeles of Kyle, but note them here nonetheless.  
In October 1848 it was reported that Richard Steele of Ballyedmond had been jailed in Maryborough as an insolvent - Rev. Robert Armstrong of Clonoulty, Tipperary, and William Armstrong of Farney Castle became sureties on his behalf. (A William Armstrong married a Sarah Steele in 1829.)  Earlier, the 'Warder and Dublin Weekly Mail' of 19th April 1834 had announced the marriage in Ardagh Church, Co. Cork, of Richard Steele of Ballyedmond, Captain in the Roya Queen's County Militia, to Eleanor/Ellen, daughter of the late Rev. Anthony Armstrong, Vicar of Emly.   Ellen Steele died in Ballyedmond on 30th January 1866.    In 1844 George Steele, youngest son of Richard Steele of Ballyedmond, died.  On 11th August 1858 the Rev. N. Switzer married Mary, the youngest daughter of the late Captain Steele, J.P. of Ballyedmond.    

Related to the Ballyedmond Steele family were the Steele family of Skeirke Cottage, Borris-in-Ossory, Queen's County.    Annabella, widow of the late Richard Steele of Skeirke, married John Kennedy, son of the late Rev. P. Kennedy of Loughmore, Tipperary, in Holycross Church in April 1853. (From the 'Southern Reporter', 26th April 1853.  William Armstrong of Farney Castle - who had bailed out the insolvent Richard Steele of Balledmond in 1848, died on 22nd December 1872 and the executor of his will was George Vandeleur Steele, who lived at Skeirke Cottage and who sorted out the will of his late brother,  Captain William Armstrong Steele of the 30th Regiment of Foot who had died on 20th August 1874.   George Vandeleur Steele must have been the dependable type - he also stood as executor to his wife, Susan Steele who died at Skeirke Cottage on 25th January 1866, and to Mary Switzer, late of Osier Hill, Taghmon, Co. Wexford, who died in Tramore on 14th August 1882 - Mary Steele, youngest daughter of the late Captain Steele of Ballyedmond, had married a Rev. N. Switzer in 1858.)

Samuel Ringwood took out a lease on Bawn on 3rd March 1819 for the lives of Thomas Little, William Ringwood and Richard Mason, of whom only William Ringwood and Richard Mason were still alive, both aged about 36, in 1852.  In 1852, this land was tenanted by Thomas Ringwood.

Thomas Ringwood was one of the three lives named in the lease, dated 20th October 1847, for land in Yoletown, (near Rosslare), Co. Wexford, which was, at the time of its sale in June 1879, tenanted by the representative of Catherine Higginson. The other two lives named were John Sealy and William Tanner, of whom only William Tanner was still alive in 1879.
Another  Yoletown lease was dated 2nd April 1810 from William Hobbs to William Tanner for the three lives of Samuel Higginson, John Barrington and William Barrington;  only the Barringtons were still alive in 1879 at the time of the sale of the property.  (Landed Estates records courtesy of Find My Past. )

Richard Ringwood had married into the Higginson family of Yoletown, but would settle and farm in the townlands of Eirke, Johnstown, Rathpatrick, and Bawn, in the parish of Galmoy, Co. Kilkenny.

Richard Ringwood (1799 - 1881) of Co. Kilkenny married Susan, eldest daughter of Richard Higginson of Yeoultown/Yoletown, Co. Wexford, in Kilsceran Church in April 1828.  A Richard Higginson had married a Catherine Barrington in 1804 - this from the Marriage Licence Bonds of Ossory, and would tally with the above Yoletown lease of 1810 which named both the Higginsons and the Barringtons.  Richard Higginson of Yoletown, Co. Wexford, died in April 1836.

Richard Ringwood of Farrenmurry died on 22nd March 1881, with probate granted to William Ringwood of Tullavolta, Johnstown, and to Henry Ringwood of Medop Hall, Ferns, Wexford.

Ringwood wills indexed in the Public Records Office:
Henry Ringwood of Castle Pierse, Co. Kilkenny - 1838.
Mary Ringwood of Graigue, Queen's County - 1842.
Richard Ringwood of Graigue, Queen's County - 1848.
Samuel Ringwood Graigue, Queen's County  - 1816.
Samuel Ringwood of Castle Pierse - 1829.
Thomas Ringwood of Tillavalty, Co. Kilkenny - 1826.

The Children of Richard Ringwood and Susan Higginson of Tillavolty or Farrenmurry, Johnstown were:

1) Kate Ringwood, who married Robert Baskin at Erke, Kilkenny on 22nd October 1856 - their daughter, Maria Emily Baskin, married our John Pennefather on September 12th 1888.
http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/07/john-pennefather-and-emily-courtenay.html

2) The eldest son of Richard and Susan Ringwood was Thomas Ringwood of Castle Pierce, Johnstown, Kilkenny. He married in Dublin, on 11th December 1866, Mary Elizabeth Christianna Perry (1842 - 1920), the only child of William C. Perry of Rathdowney, Queen's County.

Elizabeth Christiana Ringwood, widow, late of 87 Upper Georges Street, Kingstown, Co. Dublin, died in 1920, and her will was granted to Rev. James MacManaway.  His brother was Terence McManaway who married Susan Adelaide Ringwood, the daughter of William Ringwood, the brother of Thomas Ringwood.
Rev. James Macmanaway and Terence McManaway were both the sons of John MacManaway and Jane Augusta Clarke of Coolougher, Co. Roscommon.
Rev. James MacManaway married the daughter of Thomas Ringwood and Lizzie Perry, Sarah Thompson Ringwood, in London in 1891;  another researcher online has noted the marriage as occurring in Castle Pierce, Johnstown, Co. Kilkenny, on 8th April 1891.    Sarah Thompson Ringwood had been born to Thomas Ringwood and Lizzie Perry on 25th July 1864.   Rev. James MacManaway and Sarah Thompson Ringwood had four children together, including Richard Thomas Ringwood MacManaway, who died at his father's residence - Aghavea House, Brookeborough, Co. Fermanagh, in 1945, leaving a widow, Norah Kathleen, and a son, Major Robert Bruce MacManaway.   Sarah Thompson MacManaway died in 1920 and Rev. James MacManaway married, secondly, Mary Richardson.

Another son of Rev. James and Sarah Thompson MacManaway  was Rev. James Godfrey MacManaway, MP for Derry.   Rev. James MacManaway died at Aghavea House two years after his son in 1847 aged 85.

Thomas Ringwood and Lizzie Perry also had Richard Thomas Ringwood in about 1863 who married Charlotte Warren in Gorey in 1879, and also Susan L. Ringwood in about 1865.

Thomas Ringwood of Castlepierce, Johnstown, Co. Kilkenny, died on 17th September 1877. His will was granted to his brother William Ringwood of Johnstown and to Henry George Perry.

3) Richard Ringwood, born 1846, barrister-at-law, of the Middle Temple, London.  Called to the English bar in 1873, he married Emma Louisa Shapleigh, youngest daughter of Henry Shapleigh of Tiverton, on 23rd October 1866.  In 1901, the childless couple were living in Hornsey, Middlesex.

4) Mary Anne Ringwood married John Stacey Palmer (1830 - 1879), the proprietor of the 'Waterford Mirror and Tramore Visitor', on 13th February 1866.   John Stacey Palmer, journalist, died at his UK residence in Little Britain Street, London, after a long illness in July 1879.

5) A Susan Ringwood, daughter of farmer Richard Ringwood, 14 North Richmond Street, married William Nathaniel Webster, son of farmer William Webster of Ballyhast, Gorey, Co. Wexford,  in Dublin on 31st August 1870.  Witnesses were Richard and William Ringwood.

6) William Ringwood of Johnstown, Co. Kilkenny, third son of farmer Richard Ringwood of Tillavolty, married Alice Sterling of 77 Kenilworth Square, Rathmines, daughter of surgeon Miles Sterling in Rathmines on 30th September 1868.  The witnesses were Miles Sterling and Richard Ringwood.
The children of William Ringwood and Alice Sterling were (possibly) Thomas Sterling Ringwood born 1873 in Kilkenny, Alfred George Ringwood born 1st August 1875 and who married Lilias Burland in 1908, Susan Adelaide Ringwood born 1877 and who married Terence M'Manaway in 1904, Jane E. Ringwood born 1881 and James H. Ringwood born 1882, Margaret Ringwood who married Francis Henry Symes of Ballyhast, the son of the late Francis Henry Symes of Hillbrook, Co. Wicklow, on 5th November 1895.

William Ringwood farmed at Tillavolty, Kilkenny, and was living there in 1901;  his wife, Alice, died at some stage after 1901, and he married, secondly, a woman named Mary Jane;  this couple were living in Donaghmore, Queen's County, in 1911.

7) Henry Ringwood of Medophall, Ferns, Co. Wexford, born circa 1835 in Co. Kilkenny.   He was one of the executors of his father's will.  Henry died on 27th January 1915 with probate granted to Richard T. Ringwood.   On 24th January 1862, in the Scots Church on Adelaide Street, Dublin, Henry Ringwood of Medop Hall, Comalin, married Susan Anne, the youngest daughter of William M'Culloch of Carlanstown, Castlepollard.


Notes on the Sterling family of Kyle:
The Sterling family relate to both the Deaker and Ringwood families.
William Deaker married Sarah Sterling in the Meath Diocese in 1830.  In 1865, Elizabeth Deaker, daughter of William Deaker of Kenilworth Square, married James William Levis, son of Samuel Levis of Leap, Co. Cork. The witnesses were Miles Sterling MD and William Deaker.
William Ringwood of Johnstown, Co. Kilkenny, son of farmer Richard Ringwood, married Alice Sterling of 77 Kenilworth Square, Rathmines, daughter of surgeon Miles Sterling.  The witnesses were Miles Sterling and Richard Ringwood.

Miles Sterling M.D.  lived at Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny, 22 kilometers north of Kyle.  In December 1840, Miles Sterling M.D. married Margaret, the eldest daughter of George Hipwell of Newtownbarry.  He would die insane at his son's house in Castlecomer on 22nd July 1889 and probate was granted to son James Sterling and to William Ringwood.
Amongst his children were Margaret Maria who married, on 19th August 1880, Albert E. Chamney, and James Sterling who married Sarah, the daughter of J. Warren of Leskinfere, Co. Wexford, on 22nd October 1868.
The youngest son of Miles Sterling was Henry Miles Sterling, who accidentally poisoned himself with strychnine, which he'd been using to deaden the pain of neuralgia, in Grafton Street, Dublin, on 7th June 1886.  Henry had been working in an insurance company in San Francisco and had returned home briefly for a visit.
The youngest daughter of Miles Sterling was Annie Elizabeth who married on 20th December 1894 Christopher Somer Spear, Junior, the only son of Christopher Somer Spear of Springfield House, Glenageary, Co. Dublin.

The Children of William Haughton Baskin (Senior)  and Maria Deaker of of 7 North Richmond Street, near Mountjoy Square, were:

a) Robert Baskin, flour merchant of Abbey Street, born 1828,  who married Kate Ringwoodat Erke, Kilkenny on 22nd October 1856 - their daughter, Maria Emily Baskin, married our John Pennefather on September 12th 1888.
Robert Baskin's mother, Maria Baskin, organised a plaque in Ballycarney Church, Co. Wexford, as a memorial of her affection to him, on 31st December 1850.

b) William Houghton Baskin (Junior)  1831-1907. Noted in 1879 as a clerk in the Bank of Ireland and living at the Baskin family home of 7 North Richmond Street.  On 16th February 1871 he married Anne Alicia Knaggs, daughter of James Knaggs, of 3 Grosvenor Square, Rathmines - the witnesses were Stewart Baskin and James B. Baskin, the groom's brothers.  He was later the secretary of Ball's Bank on Henry Street.  In 1901 William H. Baskin and his family were living in Cornakinnegar, Co. Armagh. Children were  Alice Annie Houghton Baskin born in Dublin in 1880 and Roberts Dacre Baskin born in Dublin in 1882.

c) Stewart Baskin 1838 -82; a leading member of the Dublin Methodist community and chief accountant at Guinness's, he married Antrim-born Lucinda Hessie Johnson, whose sister was Mrs. Johnson, a native of Glenavy, Co. Antrim, and niece of the late Mayor of Belfast,  Mayor Philip Johnson.       Stewart Baskin and his brother, William Haughton Baskin, were noted as the nephews of Robert Thompson of Eccles Street who died in 1871.  On 22nd December 1822 in Dublin, Mary Baskin, daughter of Oliver Baskin and Elizabeth Haughton,  had married Robert Thompson;  the witnesses were her brother, William Haughton Baskin, and James Edmiston.
A probable son of Stewart Baskin and Lucinda Hessie Johnson was the Henry Thompson Baskin (1879 - 1900) of 16 Upper Leeson Street who died on 12th January 1900 in Colorado - his will was granted to the widow of Stewart Baskin, Lucinda Hessie Baskin.  Other children were William Haughton Baskin born 1877,  Mary Eliza Baskin born 1875 and Stewart Lucie Baskin born 1882.

d) Rev. Charles Baskin 1840-1901. A Methodist minister, he was stationed at various places throughout his career - Ballymena, Newry, Armagh, Portadown, Castlederg, Sligo and Downpatrick.
On 27th October 1868 in Sligo, Rev. Charles Baskin of Gilford, Co. Down, married Rebecca, youngest daughter of Joseph Lockeed or Lougheed of Ballymote, Sligo.    The couple were married by Charles Baskin's brother-in-law, Rev. William Nicholas, who was married to Charles' sister, Eliza Baskin who follows.
The children  of Rev. Charles and Rebecca Baskin were Mary Barret Baskin, Charles P. Baskin, Lockeed Baskin and William Houghton Carson Baskin. (A William Baskin married Margaret Carson in Raphoe, Co. Donegal, in 1830 but this might be coincidence.)
Rev. Charles Baskin died in Belfast in 1901.

e) Eliza Baskin 1844 who married Rev. William Nicholas on 7th June 1866 in the Wesleyan Chapel of Lower Abbey Street.   Eliza Baskin was the only daughter of William H. Baskin of 7 North Richmond Street, near Mountjoy Square.   Rev. Nicholas was the president of the Belfast Methodist College.   In June 1894 in Charleston Methodist Church, Dublin, the daughter of Eliza and Rev. William Nicholas, Susanna Nicholas married Thomas, son of Mathew Griffin of Clonskeagh.  The bride's uncle, Rev. Charles Baskin, assisted.
Rev. William Nicholas, who had been born in Co. Wexford in 1838,  died in Portrush in September 1912, following a long career as a Methodist minister, during which time he had been stationed in Portadown, Abbey Street in Dublin (the Baskins' place of worship), Skibbereen, Lurgan, Drogheda, Cork, Belfast and Dublin.  His home address had been Dacre, Ravenhill Park, Belfast, and he was survived by his widow, Eliza, two sons and four daughters.    William Haughton Nicholas born 16th September 1868, Maria born 16th June 1867 in Lurgan, Elesia, Kathleen, Harriet, and Robert born in Cork on 3rd February 1880.   The couple also had Eliza Baskin Nicholas (was this Elesia?) on 7th February 1875 and Stewart Baskin Nicholas born 15th May 1870 in Portadown.

f) James Benjamin Gillman Baskin (1847 - 1914).

The children of Robert Baskin and Kate Ringwood were:
 a) Richard Ringwood Baskin born 16th September 1864 who married Ann Jane Byron in Dublin in 1890   -  an Edward Ringwood Baskin lived in February 1892 at 2 Victoria Terrace, Philipsburgh Avenue, where his wife gave birth to a son. I think this was actually a newspaper typo for Richard Ringwood Baskin.

b) Robert Dacre Baskin born 1872.

c) Maria Emily Baskin, born 1861, who married our John Pennefather Junior in 1888.

d)Elizabeth Charlotte Baskin born 1879 who married Hewson Deverell in North Dublin in 1907.  Hewson Deverell, hardware merchant, was a Plymouth Brethren member, living in 1901 in Blackrock.  He was the son of Hannah Deverell and Anthony Deverell, merchant of 50 Henry Street and of 24 Rutland Square, who died on 11th November 1891 with probate to Hewson and Anthony Deverell.
A daughter of Anthony and Hannah Deverell of 24 Rutland Square was Hannah Amy Deverell who married George Lennox Bigger, eldest son of Lennox James Bigger, on 4th February 1890 - the ceremony was performed by the registrar.

e)  William Houghton Baskin  (Junior) was the Chief Cashier of the Bank of Ireland.  William Houghton Baskin married Mary Louisa Scott, of Belfast, whose father was William M. Scott, a merchant. They married on November 10th,1880 in Co. Antrim, Belfast. Their marriage was officiated over by his uncle, the minister, Charles Baskin and one of the witnesses was cousin Annie Baskin.   Living in College Green, Dublin, in 1911, children were Robert S. Baskin born 1884 in Dublin,  and Margaret J. Baskin born in Dublin in 1890.

f)  Susan Annie Baskin, born in Dublin in 1869,  who married the shopkeeper/draper Francis Hawksby of 28 Upper Sackville Street in 1881.  He died young on 20th May 1893.  The couple's one surviving daughter was Kate Ringwood Hawskby, born in 1887, who worked as a draper like her widowed mother.  Both were Methodist and were living together in Glasnevin in 1911.  They were included in the Baskin family memorial plaques in Ballycarney Church, Wexford - Mrs. Hawksby and her daughter, and also Mrs. Hawskby's sister, Miss Baskin, presented the memorial on 12th January 1937 to a K.L. Purser.   Included on the same plaque was the message that it had been presented to Ballycarney Church on 18th May 1937 by H.L. Purser of Aughmacart, Rathdrummy, Queen's County.
Also on this plaque was a presentation to Richard Ringwood Baskin with best wishes from his father, Robert Baskin, dated 21st May 1892, and also an earlier presentation from Maria Baskin, née Deaker, to her son, Robert Baskin, dated 31st December 1850.

g) Kate Baskin, born 1875, probably the unmarried sister mentioned, but not named, in the Baskin plaque in Ballycarney Church, Co. Wexford, as the sister of Susan Annie Hawskby, in 1937.

In 1837, a Robert Baskin was named as a Methodist preacher on the Dundalk and Castleblaney circuit.  Several members of the Dublin Baskin family made contributions to the Jubilee Fund of the Wesleyan Missionary Society in 1869 - they were noted as members of the 2nd Dublin Circuit of the Methodist church and were named as Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Baskin (sen.), Mr and Mrs. R. Baskin and children, Mr. W.H. Baskin and Miss Baskin, Mr. Stewart Baskin, Mr. Charles Baskin and Mr. J.B.G Baskin.





Sunday, 22 November 2015

The Perceval Family

The second wife of Rev. John Pennefather was Elizabeth Percival (1765 - 1851) - the couple married on 19th December 1789 in St. John’s,  Newport, Co. Tipperary.  Elizabeth Percival was the daughter of William Percival and Anne Waller of Wilton, Newport, Co. Tipperary.

William Percival was the son of Robert Perceval of Laricor and Knighstsbrook, Co. Meath,  who had married Jane Westby, daughter of Nicholas Westby of High Park, Wicklow, on 13th June 1717.   Nicholas Westby was the Collector of Customs in Ennis, Co. Clare, and married Frances Stepney of Durrow in 1698.  As part of the marriage settlement, he received the estate of High Park in Co. Wicklow.  Nicholas Westby died on 19th October 1716.

William Perceval's brother, Robert Perceval Junior, the eldest son of Robert Perceval and Jane Westby of Laricor and Knightsbrook,Co. Meath, married his cousin, Bridget Mary Warden, who was the widowed daughter of George Westby.

Robert Perceval Junior died in 1756 leaving Robert Perceval who settled at Carrickmakeegan, Leitrim, having married Frances Armstrong in St. Mary's, Dublin, on 3rd March 1775, and Westby Perceval who married Jane Elizabeth Canning in St. Mary's on 14th December 1776.
Robert Perceval and Frances Armstrong of Knightsbrook and Carrickmakeegan had Robert Perceval, Westby Perceval who married Charlotte Wilhelmina Hawkshaw (1792 - 16th September 1856), the daughter of Colonel Thomas Hawkshaw, William Perceval and Anna Maria Perceval who married the widowed Colonel Thomas Hawkshaw of the 22nd Bengal Regiment in October 1807  in Marylebone Church.  Anna Maria Hawkshaw, widow of the late Major-General Hawkshaw, died at Perth, Scotland, on 20th July 1854.
The first wife of Major General Thomas Hawkshaw was Gertruida Christina Van Renen.

A marriage licence was issued in England for Westby Percival and Charlotte Wilhelmina Hawkshaw on 12th January 1813.   From the papers - In March 1813, in Marylebone, W. Perceval of Knightsbrook, Meath, married Charlotte Wilhelmina, eldest daughter of Major General Hawkshaw of the India Company's Service.
Major General Thomas Hawkshaw died on 30th June 1819 in London.

Westby Perceval of Knightsbrook died in Dublin on 17th March 1850, aged 74, and was buried in Mount Jerome - also buried here were his son, Robert Sommerville Percival and a daughter Gertrude Frances McMullan.

26th November 1857 - in Bathheaston, Lt. C.J. Godby HEICS to Millicent Harriatt, youngest daughter of the late Westby Perceval of Knightsbrook.

On 5th June 1851, Westby Hawkshaw Percival of Knightsbrook, son of Westby Percival and grandson of Maj-Gen Hawkshaw married Sarah Brook Bailley, daughter of John Bailley MD of Brooklands, Essex.

Who was this?  On 17th August 1856, the death occurred in Jamaica of Robert Perceval, eldest son of William Perceval of Knightsbrook, Co. Meath and nephew of the late Major-General Hawkshaw HEICS. ('Evening Freeman', 13th October 1856.)

Another son of Robert Percival and Jane Westby, who had married 13th June 1717, was Major William Perceval of 103rd Foot who married Anne Waller, the daughter of Richard Waller of Newport, Co. Tipperary.  In 1784 William Perceval was living at Wilton, Newport, Tipperary.  A Captain William Perceval of 103rd Foot died aged 38 in Stradbally in 1793 and was buried at the rock of Dunamase.

Major William Perceval of Wilton, Newport, Tipperary, and Anne Waller had:

1) Major Robert Perceval of Curragoa, Jamaica, West Indies, Major in the 18th Regiment of Royal Irish.  He had died by 1837 - he fell off a horse - when his daughter, Emily Perceval, married Thomas Palmer.
Robert Perceval's children were William Perceval, Robert Perceval, John Pennefather Perceval of the 17th Foot, Jane Perceval and Emily Perceval who married Thomas Palmer Junior of Summerhill, Castlebar, Mayo and Molesworth Street, in  St. Peter's, on 18th March 1837.  At the time of this wedding, the  bride was living at 128 Baggot Street which the home of  her uncle and aunt Captain Westby and Margaret Perceval.  The witnesses were the family solicitor John Vincent (who was named by Westby Perceval as a relation) and Richard Lysaght, Westby Perceval's nephew.

Major Robert Perceval of the 18th Royal Irish Regiment of Foot was named in his brother, Captain Westby Perceval's will which named Robert's widow as Antoinette Percival and his  children as John, James, Elizabeth and Emily Percival.   T
he LDS website notes the birth of one of these children in Jamaica - Elizabeth Perceval was christened in Trelawny, Cornwall, Jamaica, to Captain Robert Percival and to Antoinette Chevivia or Cheverer, on 20th June 1812.   A son, who perhaps didn't survive, was named as Robert George Perceval, and who was christened in Kingstown, Jamaica, on 13th July 1813 by Major Robert Perceval and Antoinette Perceval.

On 26th July 1849, son Lt. John Pennefather Perceval of the 17th Foot died aged 29 in Ramsgate from chest disease contracted during nine years' service in India.  Son of the late Major Perceval of the 18th Regiment, and nephew of the late Colonel William Perceval formerly of the 67th Regiment.

2) Captain Westby Perceval, Royal Navy, married Margaret Lysaght, daughter of Limerick solicitor Thomas Lysaght and Catherine Vallancey, in 1817.

Captain Westby Perceval was created a Knight of the Imperial Austrian Order of Leopold. He had been made a lieutenant in 1800 and was promoted to the command of the Paulina on 14th September 1808. He was subsequently posted to the Meditarranean and was conferred with the Austrian order for his service in the Adriatic War in 1813 and 1814.

In 1821, Captain Westby Perceval was living at 41 Molesworth Street before moving permanently to 128 Lower Baggot Street.

On  6th March 1834 at the residence of Captain Westby Percival RN in Baggot Street (128 Baggot Street) the death occurred of Catherine Vallancy Lysaght, daughter of the late Thomas Lysaght of Co. Clare and of Leeson Street, and of his wife Catherine Vallancey, daughter of Colonel Charles Vallancey.  

From 'The Bank of England Wills Extracts', and from the original document lodged in the National Archives UK Discovery collection, the will of Westby Percival of His Majesty's Ship Adair (?) of Woolwich, dated May 1835, with a codicil of 10th June 1835.  The executors were wife Margaret Percival, née Lysaght, his brother William Percival, solicitor John Hare of Fitzwilliam Street,  and relation and solicitor John Vincent of Upper Baggot Street.    Probate was granted on 8th November 1836.

The will mentioned bonds from Rev. J. Penefather, who was married to Westby's sister, Mary Perceval, relation-by-marriage Maj.Gen. Hawkshaw,  the late Thomas Bouchier of 123 Baggot Street, and Westby Perceval, presumably one of Westby's relations rather then himself.

Westby's widow, Margaret Perceval, née Lysaght, was to get the house at 128 Baggot Street and special provision was made to Emily Perceval, the daughter of his brother William Perceval,  clearly a favourite niece.

Legacies were left to his sister Mrs. Jane Bourke, the two unnamed daughters of his late sister Ann Delany  of Limerick, his brother  Lt.Colonel William Percival, his two nieces Charlotte Hunter and Margaret Hunter who had become Margaret Carey by the time of the codicil, to nephew Richard Lysaght Junior son of the late Thomas Lysaght (Thomas Lysaght had a brother Richard, who was uncle of Westby's nephew mentioned in the will), and three nieces, Charlotte, Margaret and Elizabeth Lysaght, daughters of the aforementioned late Thomas Lysaght,  Miss Elizabeth Perceval, John and James Perceval and Emily Perceval, all four the children of his late brother Robert Perceval of the 18th Royal Irish Regiment of Foot whose widow, Antoinette Percival, was also provided for.
A  niece was Alice Perceval, daughter of his brother William Perceval.   Another niece was named as Emma Evans, the daughter of  Thomas and Clare/Clara Evans, Clare Evans, née Pennefather, being the daughter of Westby's sister, Elizabeth Perceval who had married Rev. John Pennefather of the The Glebe, Newport, Tipperary.

'Saunders Newsletter' of 27th August 1817 noted that Westby Perceval, who had recently married Miss Lysaght of Leeson Street, had arrived at his sister-in-law's house, Mrs. Hunter of Charlotte's Quay (Limerick), with his bride.   Mrs. Hunter might have been a sister of Captain Westby Perceval's wife Margaret Lysaght, since her father, Thomas Lysaght, moved from Limerick to Dublin in about 1790.

Westby Percival also left his gold watch to his nephew-in-law Rear-Admiral Henry Vansittart  of Bisham Abbey who had married  his sister's daughter, Mary Charity Pennefather (daughter of Elizabeth Perceval and Rev. John Pennefather of Newport) in 1809.

A small legacy was given to his dear friend Captain Philip Percival of the Grenadier Guards (a relation?) and to his doctor and housemaid;  land in Ballyspellane, and Carrowduff, Co. Clare, was mentioned, and, in relation to this land, William Westby of Merrion Square, Dublin.  William Westby of Merrion Square and Thornhill, Co.Wicklow was the son of William Westby and Mary Jones, this older William Westby being the brother of Jane Perceval who had married Robert Perceval of Knightsbrooke on 13th June 1717.

Westby Perceval of 128 Baggot Street was buried in St. Peter's on 20th November 1835.

Widow Margaret Perceval, née Lysaght, died on 15th March 1862 and her will administered by John Vincent of Charlton, Co. Dublin.   John Vincent of Charlton and of Raglan Road died 22nd May 1869 by suicide when he threw himself under a train, with probate to children  John Albert Vincent and spinster Mary Jane Vincent.  John Albert Vincent was born 4th November 1839 to John and Catherine Vincent of Leeson Street.

3) Lt-Colonel William Perceval CB of the Rifle Brigade, formerly of the 67th Regiment, who died in Brussels in January 1837.  Lt-Col William Percival CB married Charlotte Alice, daughter of William Henry Palmer, Baronet of Castle Lackin, Mayo and of Kenure House, Co.Dublin.
The marriage took place in Bruges, Netherlands (ie: Belgium) on 19th February 1822.  In December 1821 William's brother, Captain Westby Perceval of Molesworth Street, wrote to the Chief Secretary in Dublin Castle on his brother's behalf requesting assistance to procure a certificate of consent for him to marry in the Netherlands.

William Perceval was named in his brother Westby Perceval's 1835 will.  Having joined the 67th Reg in 1795, he was subsequently posted to Jamaica, then served in Spain. He was promoted to rank of Lt-Colonel of the 67th regiment in 1815.

Following his death in January 1837, his widow, Charlotte Alice married in London on 19th July 1838,  Pierce Francis Barron of Sarahville, Co. Waterford.
Pierce F. Barron had earlier, on 18th June 1826, married Anne de Stranker, niece of Countess de Woronzoff.  His daughter by this marriage was Mary, Countess Constabilie. Under a deed of 10th March 1826, James Barron settled Waterford estates upon his son, Pierce F. Barron.

The unmarried Frederica Augusta Perceval, late of Brighton and of Bruges, Brussells, died 3rd August 1875 in Bruges, and probate was granted to her widowed mother, Charlotte Alice Barron of Brighton.  Charlotte Alice Barron failed to administer the will, so administration was subsequently granted to Frederica's sister, Alice Florence Kearney, wife of Robert Cecil Kearney of Ballyvasey, Co. Mayo.

From 'Dublin Evening Post', 22nd December 1855 - Robert Cecil Kearney of Her Majesty's 97th Regiment, third son of the late Robert Kearney, JP of Ballinvilla House, Co. Mayo,  to Alice Florence, eldest daughter of the late Colonel Wm. Percival CB, Rifle Brigade, grand-daughter of the late Sir William Palmer Bart., and niece of Sir Roger Palmer, Bart., Kenure, Co. Dublin.   Alice Florence Perceval had been born in Italy in 1830, and in 1851 had been living with her widowed mother, Charlotte Alice Barron, at 63 Bridge House, Hampton.  In 1855 when she married Robert Cecil Kearney, she was living at Newport, Tipperary.

4) Elizabeth Perceval who married Rev. John Pennefather as his second wife.
    http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/12/rev-john-pennefather-newport.html

5) Jane Perceval married Captain John Robert Bourke of Moatville, Cloneska, Co. Tipperary. They had a daughter, Maria Theresa Bourke who married, in 1832 in Eglish, Co. Tipperary, Edward Burke Roche before emigrating to Australia.  She died in 1893 in Greymouth, New Zealand.  From 'Grey River Argus' of 6th July 1893:  'Maria Theresa, relict of the late Edward Roche of Tourlager (Vauclaus) Co. Limerick, and daughter of the late Captain John Robert Bourke and Jane Percival of Moatville, Co. Tipperary, and second cousin to the late Sir Richard Bourke, Governor General of the colony of New South Wales and first cousin to the late Genreal Sir John Pennefather,  a colonist of 60 years.'

NB: Sir Richard Bourke was of Thornfields, Co. Limerick.

In 1852, as shown on Griffiths Valuation, the widowed Jane Bourke, née Perceval, (or perhaps her daughter) was the owner of approximately 300 acres at Cloneska.   Later on 27th November 1874 the Landed Estates Courts, which dealt with the sale of properties indebted by the famine, put the lands of Moatville up for sale.  The petitioners were named as Falkiner Harding and Clare Evans.  Clare Evans was Clare Pennefather who  had married Thomas Evans and who was the daughter of Rev. John Pennefather and Elizabeth Perceval.
The owners of Moatville in 1874 were named as the sisters, Antonia Jane Belinda Bourke (born 20th October 1840 on the River Ganges and baptised in Agra, India) and Anna Mary Stuart (born 30th October 1843 in Umballa), wife of the English soldier, Henry Benson Stuart.  Both sisters had  been born to the soldier, Lieutenant Theophilus H.R. Bourke of the 31st regiment (1815 - 1843) who had married Mary Ann Lapeth in Kent on 28th April 1836, and who was most probably the son of Captain John Robert Bourke and of Jane Perceval, being contemporary with Maria Theresa Bourke.

6) Ann Perceval married .....Delany of Limerick.  Daughter Anne Percival Delany of 128 Baggot Street married on 31st July 1835, William Ottiwell of Sinnott Place. Witnesses:  Francis Walker John and Francis Edward Lacy.   Anne Percival Ottiwell of Upper Dorset Street died in July 1836. Her daughter, Anne Catherine Ottiwell, had been born in Dorset Street on 29th June 1836 - she would marry Captain Henry Robe Saunders, son of Robert John Saunders of Woolwich, in St. Peter's on 4th February 1858, the ceremony being performed by the bride's cousin, Rev. William Colles Moore of Carnew, son of Rev. Thomas Ottiwell Moore of Wexford.  Anne Percival Ottiwell's father, William Ottiwell, was living at 37 Rathmines Road at the time of the wedding.   Anne Percival Ottiwell married, secondly, the barrister Campbell Gaussen of Derry, son of David Gaussen, on 10th October 1861.


The Lysaght family of Limerick, Clare and Dublin:
Mary Lysaght, daughter of John Lysaght, 1st Lord Lisle of Mountnorth, and of Catherine Deane, married Kingsmill Pennefather in 1754.  In 1789, their son, Rev. John Pennefather of Newport, Tipperary, married, as his second wife, Elizabeth Percival, the daughter of Captain William Percival of the 103rd Foot and Anne Waller, daughter of Richard Waller of Newport.  

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2012/04/lysaght-family-of-mountnorth-cork.html

Elizabeth Percival's brother was Captain Westby Percival who also married a member of a Lysaght family, although I have no idea if this Lysaght family was related to the Lysaght family of Mountnorth, Co. Cork.  Captain Westby Perceval's wife was Margaret Lysaght, daughter of the barrister Thomas Lysaght.  The couple married in St. Peter's, Dublin, in August 1817.

Another son of the solicitor Thomas Lysaght was Richard Lysaght who had been admitted to Trinity aged 15 on 10th November 1790 - he had been born in Co. Limerick to the solicitor Thomas Lysaght. In the 1830's, Richard Lysaght was an attorney, firstly at 17 Leeson Street, then at 11 Pembroke Street. Richard Lysaght, late of Limerick,  died on 18th June 1845 in Lower Pembroke Street aged 72. His wife had died there on 9th November 1838.

Earlier, Richard Lysaght had given an affadavit, dated 10th August 1826, to confirm the loss of certain legal papers which had been entrusted to his father Thomas Lysaght by the Butler family, who had employed him as law-agent;  these family papers had been lost when Thomas Lysaght sold up and moved from Limerick to Dublin in about 1790. Richard confirmed in his 1826 affadavit that his brother, Thomas Lysaght Junior, had been in the legal business with his father but both were now dead.

'Saunders Newletter' of 30th October 1821 reported that a bill belonging to the Lysaghts had been lost in the post. Payment was stopped so the bill was now worthless.....'John Balfe's Draft on Messrs.Murphy of Smithfield in favour of James Lysaght for 100l. dated 8th of October....1821...said Bill was enclosed in a letter...to Richard Lysaght Esq.,Ennis...information may be sent to Captain Percival, 14 Molesworth St...'   The daughter of Thomas Lysaght Senior was Margaret Lysaght, wife of Captain Westby Perceval who, in 1821, lived at 41 Molesworth Street.  

(It's unclear who James Lysaght was.  I went through the register of Drumcliffe Church, Ennis, in the National Archives.  The microfilm covered the years 1785 to 1829 and showed up the following Lysaght entries who may or may not be related to the Lysaght family discussed in this post:

9th March 1796 - the baptism of John, son of Mr. James Lysaght and his wife.

23rd February 1799 - the baptism of Catherine, daughter of Francis Lysaght and Charlotte his wife.

1803, date faded - the baptism of James, son of James and Jane Lysaght.

14th May 1808 - the burial of Mrs. Lysaght, wife of Mr. James Lysaght.

29th November 1817 - the marriage of Serjeant Thomas Hodson of the 20th to Margaret Lysaght of Glinfield, spinster. License.  Glinfield was difficult to decipher and might not be accurate.

7th December 1817 - George Inglis, assistant surgeon of 93rd Reg. to Miss Catherine Lysaght of Ennis. License.)

So Thomas Lysaght Senior, solicitor of Limerick, then Leeson St, Dublin, had Richard Lysaght of 17 Leeson St and then Pembroke Street in about 1775 and who might also have operated in Ennis, Margaret who married Captain Westby Perceval in 1817, and Thomas Lysaght Junior who had been in business with his father.  
There was also a Patrick Lysaght associated with this family, as evidenced by Deed 763-263-518003 which I read through in the Registry of Deeds.  Dated 15th June 1821, it recited that, under an earlier deed of 10th October 1785, the late Nicholas Westby of Dublin had leased land in Co. Clare to the late Thomas Lysaght of Dublin and to Patrick Lysaght for three lives of which, now, in 1821, only one was living, namely solicitor Richard Lysaght of York Street.   The current 1821 deed involved Patrick Lysaght of Annefield (Ennistymon), Co. Clare, Captain Westby Perceval and his wife Margaret (née Lysaght).  The deed maintained that Patrick Lysaght was entitled to half the lands of Canaduff, Derreen and Drominecalluragh (?) as tenant in common with Richard Lysaght of York Street, Dublin, under the 1785 lease made between the late Nicholas Westby of Dublin and the late Thomas Lysaght of Dublin.  Margaret Perceval, wife of Captain Westby Perceval, had, in 1806, obtained a judgement against Patrick Lysaght for £1000 and, after her marriage, said judgment was revived - Patrick Lysaght was therefore to assign the said lands to Westby Perceval.

'Saunders Newsletter' of 27th August 1817 noted that Westby Perceval, who had recently married Miss Lysaght of Leeson Street, had arrived at his sister-in-law's house, Mrs. Hunter of Charlotte's Quay (Limerick), with his bride.   Mrs. Hunter might have been another daughter of Thomas Lysaght, solicitor, since I know of no Perceval/Hunter marriages.  She had two known daughters, Margaret and Charlotte Hunter, both named as beneficiaries in their uncle Westby Perceval's will.   A Mrs. Hunter, widow of the excise office Robert Hunter, died in Limerick in June 1824.  ('Waterford Mail', 19th June 1824.)

The son of Thomas Lysaght, Thomas Lysaght Junior, had married Catherine Vallancey, youngest daughter of Colonel Charles Vallancey L.L.D., in October 1799.  The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Kearney of Trinity College, Dublin. ('Saunders Newsletter', 23 October 1799.)

Thomas Lysaght Junior was the register and law agent to the Royal Dublin Society, a job he received through the influence of his father-in-law, Colonel Vallancey, and died of typhus fever in Ennis in 1819.   His widow, Catherine Lysaght, née Vallancey, died in January 1848 at Bayview near Kilrush, Co. Clare.

Edmond Cole Bowen, attorney of Limerick, married Margaret, the second daughter of attorney Thomas Lysaght Junior and Catherine Vallancey in 1828.  Edmond Cole Bowen was the son of Ralph Cole Bowen and Mary Doherty of Bowen's Court, Co. Cork. Mary Doherty was the daughter of Edmond Doherty of Mount Bruis, Co Tipperary.  Along with Edmond Cole Bowen who married Margaret Lysaght in 1828, Ralph Cole Bowen and Mary Doherty had Henry Cole Bowen who married Anne Jane Hely, the daughter of Hampden Hely, Charles Cole Bowen, Jane Cole Bowen, Mary Cole Bowen of Baggot Street who married in 1828 the Venerable Archdeacon Pryce Peacock of Limerick, and Elizabeth Cole Bowen.
In 1828, at the residence of her mother in Georges Square, Kilrush, Co.Clare, Margaret Cole Bowen gave birth to a son, Edmond Bowen. Her husband, Edmond Cole Bowen died the following year in 1829.
The widowed Margaret Cole Bowen, second daughter of Thomas Lysaght, married secondly Basil Lukey Davoren of Ennis.

Basil's brother, George Davoren, married Charlotte Lysaght, also a daughter of Thomas Lysaght Junior and Catherine Vallancy.  The children of George and Charlotte Davoren were, amongst others, Catherine Frances Vallancy Davoren and Westby Percival Davoren.
George and Basil Lukey Davoren were the sons of Basil and Anne Davoren of Ennis, Co. Clare.

The eldest daughter of Thomas Lysaght Junior and Catherine Vallancey of Leeson Street was Catherine Vallancy Lysaght who died in Baggot Street in 1834.

The son of Thomas Lysaght Junior and Catherine Vallancey was Major Thomas Vallancey Lysaght. In May 1820, one year after his father had died of typhus in Ennis, Co. Clare, Thomas V. Lysaght applied to enter the British Bengal Army as a cadet.  He was nominated by a director of the East India Company, Edward Parry and recommended by Captain Henry Vansittart of the Royal Navy.  His application papers (viewable via Find My Past - British India Office Births and Baptisms) confirms that he was the son of Thomas Lysaght, lately deceased, a solicitor who resided in Dublin.  Born in St. Peter's parish on 8th March 1804, he had received a classical education at the Feinaigle Institute. His next of kin was his widowed mother Catherine Lysaght.

Edward Parry of Gower Street, who nominated him, wrote a letter on his behalf to the army - 'My dear sir, I have prepared Mr Abington the proper officer at the India House who will be ready to receive Mr. Lysaght, get him passed through the forms of the India House and enable him to find a ship to sail in the course of the month....Pray remember me to my daughter, to Mrs. Henry Vansittart and to all our friends at Bisham....'
Edward Parry of the East India Company had married Emilia Vansittart, the daughter of Henry Vansittart and Amelia Morse;  Edward Parry's nephew was the Captain Henry Vansittart who had recommended Thomas Vallancey Lysaght as a cadet in 1820.   The Vansittart family of Bisham were close relations of Rear-Admiral Henry Vansittart who had married Mary Charity Pennefather, daughter of Rev. John Pennefather and Elizabeth Perceval of Newport, Tipperary, in 1809.

Thomas Vallancey Lysaght married his first wife, Fanny Sophia Hamilton in Dacca, Bengal, on 3rd April 1829.  The witnesses were members of the bride's family, Emily Anna Hamilton, Lt-Col. Charles W. Hamilton Charlotte Hamilton.
On 22nd January 1833, Thomas Vallancey Lysaght married, secondly, Maria O' Halloran in Dinapore, India.

Thomas Vallancey Lysaght and Maria O'Halloran had four daughters, all of whom were orphaned by 1849 and in receipt of an army pension accordingly.  They were Fanny Percival Lysaght born 13th March 1834, Maria Vallancey Lysaght born 17th August 1837, Caroline Bayly Lysaght born 20th April 1840 and Margaret Pennifather Lysaght born 19th April 1842.

Major Thomas Vallancey Lysaght's second wife, Maria O'Halloran was a member of the Limerick O'Halloran family - when Caroline Bayly Lysaght died in Leamington aged 18 in 1858, she was noted as the 3rd daughter of the late Thomas V. Lysaght and granddaughter of the late Major-General Sir Joseph O'Halloran.  Folowing the premature death of the Lysaght girls' parents in India, they had been taken in  by their uncle and aunt in Leamington, Lt. John Nicholas O'Halloran and Elizabeth Pringle.




Saturday, 3 October 2015

John and Thomas Williams of Grafton Street and Lower Sackville Street


This is another post about Williams families of Dublin as part of my ongoing search for the father of our great-great grandfather, Richard Williams of 17 Eden Quay and Dundrum. John Williams had died by the time of Richard's wedding in 1847, and nothing further is known about him.
In this post, I'm concentrating on Thomas Williams  (1779 - 1858) of Sackville Street who was initially in business with a John Williams.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/08/richard-williams-and-geraldine-omoore.html

Most of the Williams who contributed in 1827 to the early capital of the fledgling City of Dublin Steam Packet Company were members of the Williams family who founded the company.
The original founder, Charles Wye Williams, paid in £8000, while his brother, Richard Williams of Drumcondra Castle, paid in £8700.  Their father was Thomas Williams of Hampton Lodge, Drumcondra, who paid in £5000.
Thomas William's cousin was a London lawyer, John Jeffery Williams whose three eldest sons moved from Holborn to Dublin in the early 19th century, and these three were also listed as shareholders in 1827 - John Dignam Williams, a merchant of Eustace Street, paid in £300;  his brother, the banker of Dame Street, Thomas Hutchins Williams, paid £4400, and lawyer William Williams of College Green, who was the youngest of the three brothers, paid in £200.  

Their father, John Jeffery Williams, had a second younger family by his second wife, Mary Oliver, one of whom was born in 1812, three years before John Jeffery's premature death, and who was named as Richard - this may or may not be our great-grandfather, who lived at the CDSPCo's Dublin headquarters at 17 Eden Quay, where he worked as the company's bookkeeper.  In 1815, the year of his death, John Jeffery Williams had a son, Henry Jeffery Williams, who also worked as a bookkeeper, but I know little more about this man. Our great-great grandfather, the bookkeeper Richard Williams (1812 - 1885) of Eden Quay, married our great-great grandmother, Geraldine O'Moore Creighton (1811 - 1888), in 1847, and named his deceased father as a gentleman named John Williams, who has so far proved elusive.

http://alison-stewart.blogspot.ie/2011/11/john-jeffery-williams-father-of-richard.html

Another of the 1827 shareholders was Thomas Williams of 50 Lower Sackville Street who contributed £200 of capital to the CDSPCo, and who had a circumstantial link to our Richard Williams through his wife.
Our Richard Williams, widower, married spinster Geraldine O'Moore Creighton in the Registrar's Office, Dublin, on 15th June 1847.  He was an officer to a public company, ie, CDSPCo, living at 17 Eden Quay, the son of a deceased gentleman, John Williams.  Geraldine O'Moore Creighton was the daughter of presbyterian minister, Rev. David Hill Creighton, and was living at 5 Harcourt Terrace.  This was the address of her maternal aunt, Louisa Willis (1795 - 1866) , who had married the printer George Allen Proctor  (1778 -1848) in St. Peter's, Dublin, on 26th May 1825.    Geraldine O'Moore Creighton's mother was Louisa Proctor's sister, Eliza Willis, both Louisa and Eliza being the daughters of the Portarlington schoolmaster, Thomas Willis.

Geraldine's father, Rev. David Hill Creighton, was associated with the Scots Church of Mary Street and with the Presbyterian Church in Bray, just south of Dublin.  Both he, and his daughters, also ran a Ladies' Academy in a variety of locations around Dublin, which, following his death in 1866, his three unmarried daughters continued to run in North Great Georges Street.

'Saunders News-Letter' of 2nd March 1835 noted that Mr. Creighton and his daughters were running a Ladies' Academy at 50 Lower Sackville Street, having lately removed from 14 Upper Gardiner Street.   50 Lower Sackville Street was the business premises of Thomas Williams.

Later, the edition of 6th April 1835 advertised the Ladies' Academy at 50 Lower Sackville Street and added that Mr. Creighton had been requested by some ladies to open a summer school in Kingstown, and that enquiries for this could be made to himself, and references could be requested from Mrs. Roe of Sans Souci and Mrs. Ferrier of Willow Park.  Both the Roes and the Ferriers were closely associated with the CDSPCo.

'Saunders News-Letter' of 29th August 1836 once again ran the advertisement for the Ladies' Academy of 50 Lower Sackville Street conducted by Mr. Creighton and his daughters.  Later, on 11th September 1843, the paper noted that Mr. Creighton had moved his establishment to 9 Westland Row with his daughter.

Saunders of 10th April 1837 noted in an advert that Mr. Creighton and Mr. and Mrs. Newcombe were in attendance at the Ladies' Academy in 1, Foster Place, College Green.

James Ferrier 'of Willoe Park' was a proprietor of the CDSPCo at its inception in the 1820's, and was its chairman in 1840.  He was also the treasurer of The Evangelical Society and was involved in fundraising for the 'Free Church of Scotland', the 'Dublin Observer' of 1st March 1834 noting that donations were needed to set up meetingplaces and that subscriptions had already been received from James Ferrier and George Allen Proctor who was Geraldine O'Moore Creighton's uncle and brother-in-law of Rev. David Hill Creighton.

'Saunders News-Letter' of February 1835 reported that a sermon was to be preached on behalf of the schools connected with the Scots Church on Marys Abbey (with an entrance at 132 Capel Street), this being the church associated with David Hill Creighton - in 1829 Rev. Creighton had been instrumental in taking over St. Mary's Abbey, Meetinghouse Lane off Capel Street, Dublin, for the Evangelical Society;  his services were 'gratuitous', and he hoped to pay the £50 rent through donations.

As noted earlier, Rev. Creighton and his daughters ran a Ladies' Academy at 50 Lower Sackville Street in the 1830s.   50 Lower Sackville Street was the address of the woollen merchant, Thomas Williams, who had contributed £200 in capital to the fledgling City of Dublin Steam Packet Company.  Given that one of the daughters of Rev. David HIll Creighton was Geraldine O' Moore Creighton, and given that she would, in 1847, marry Richard Williams of the CDSPCo,  was our Richard Williams related somehow to the merchant Thomas Williams, or were they all merely connected via the Dublin Steam Packet Company or via the Presbyterian Church?

All that is know of the immediate family of our great-great grandfather, Richard Williams, is that he was the son of a John Williams, a gentleman who had died by 1847 when his son married Geraldine O'Moore Creighton in Dublin.

Thomas Williams of 50 Lower Sackville Street began his working life in Dublin alongside a John Williams, and I wondered if this might be the father of our Richard Williams.  This is pure conjecture since I have found no definitive link to prove this, but I'll lay out what I know of Thomas (1779 - 1858) and John Williams (died 1813) here nonetheless.

From 'The Dublin Evening Packet and Correspondent' of 28th February 1828, an advertisement for Thomas Williams of 50 Lower Sackville Street confirmed that Thomas Williams was 'himself a native of Wales'.      He had been born somewhere in Wales in about 1779, since his Mount Jerome headstone notes that he was 79 when he died at Burnett Avenue, Kingstown, on 14th February 1858.

Saunders Newletter of 20th February 1804 ran an advertisement for John and Thomas Williams, Linen Drapery Warehouse of No. 1 Church Lane, College Green. They held patterns for yeomanry uniforms which could be seen at 21 Little Strand Street; they also engaged in piano tuning and had shop, parlours and houses to let in different parts of Dublin.

Saunders Newsletter of 24th November 1804 announced that John and Thomas Williams were moving from Church Lane to Grafton Street on the corner of Nassau Street.
From 1806, John and Thomas Williams were noted in the street directories at 1, Grafton Street. The National Library in Kildare Street holds a publication of 1805 with an advertisement for them - 'The Welch flannel and linen drapery ware-house, John & Thomas Williams, No.1 Grafton-street, opposite Suffolk-street.'

The London and Country Directory' of 1811 has 'Williams, John and Thomas, linen drapers, flannel and blanket merchants, Grafton St.'

By 1811, Williams & Co. were operating at 1 Grafton Street and 30 Lower Sackville Street.  Our Richard Williams was born at this time, in about 1812, although people weren't altogether accurate with their ages in this era.   In 1811, Rev. David Hill Creighton was the assistant secretary of the Hibernian Sunday School Society - subscribers included Rev. Thomas Willis of Portarlington, who was Geraldine O'Moore Creighton's uncle, and John Williams of Grafton Street.
An 1811 Report by the Hibernian Sunday School Society again showed up John Williams of Grafton Street as a subscriber, along with Thomas Willis of Portarlington;  D.H. Creighton was named as the assistant secretary.

(The 'Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette' of 17th October 1811 noted the marriage of a John Williams of Dublin to Miss E. Taylor of Halkin near Holywell, Flintshire.)

The 'Chester Chronicle' of 26th March 1813 noted the death of this John Williams - 'In Dublin, on the 10th inst., Mr. John Williams of Grafton Street in that city. - He was a native of the Isle of Anglesey, and during a residence of twenty years in Dublin, acquired, by his affable, friendly and truly obliging disposition, the warm esteem and affectionate regard of a numerous circle of acquaintances, by whom he is sincerely and deservedly lamented.'
The above obituary notes that John, and presumably his partner (and relative?) Thomas Williams, arrived in Dublin in about 1793.  It was about this time that the sons of lawyer, John Jeffery Williams, arrived in Dublin as merchants.

Following the death of his business partner, Thomas Williams sold off his stock at 1 Grafton Street (Saunders 4th May 1813) and set up in business alone at 30 Sackville Street.  The old business had been named as 'Williams & Co'.  At this stage he turned from the linen/flannel industry, and took up deliveries via the mailboats crossing the Irish sea.

By 1822, he was noted as 'Agent to the London and Holyhead Packet Parcel office'.

A typical advertisement for the business appeared in the Dublin Evening Mail of 27th February 1828.  Thomas Williams would forward, twice daily, goods and parcels by the Holyhead Mail and regularly by the Liverpool, London and Bristol steam packets;  parcels would also be delivered to and from the interior of Ireland by the Mail and Day Coaches. Obviously this business would bring him into daily contact with the Dublin Steam Packet Company.

Thomas Williams of 50 Lower Sackville Street, wrote a letter of complaint to the House of Commons in 1823 to highlight the unfair taxation of certain foreign goods imported from Great Britain into Ireland. (House of Commons Papers, Vol.18).

By 1828, Thomas Williams was operating at 50 Lower Sackville Street, where Rev. David Hill Creighton and his daughters would run their academy in the 1830's.  It was in 1828 that Thomas Williams of 50 Lower Sackville Street paid in £200 to the CDSPCo.

Saunders Newletter noted in 1837 that Thomas Williams of 50 Lower Sackville Street operated a real Welch (sic) handspun flannel warehouse, the flannel being manufactured at Welch Pool, Wales.

The Dublin Morning Register of 11th October 1837 noted Thomas Williams as a contributor to the 'Suppression of Street Begging' organisation, and gave two addresses for him - along with 50 Lower Sackville Street, there was also 127 Lower Baggot Street.

By 1839 Thomas Williams was also the agent for the National Provident Institution, and, as well as being a wholesale flannel and woollen merchant, is noted as a Welsh flannel merchant.

By 1850, Thomas Williams was still working at 50 Lower Sackville Street but was living in the southern suburbs at 3 Belvidere Terrace, Sandymount Strand.

 'Thomas Williams & Co., Parcel Agent to His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant, military and general agents per English and Irish railways, daily, and agents to Stanbury & Co, London.'

‘Williams, Thomas & Co., parcel agents to His Excellency Earl de Grey, military and general agents, and flannel and blanket merchants, 50 Sackville Street Lower.’

Thomas Williams, formerly of Sackville Street, late of Burdett-avenue, Kingstown, Dublin, died 14th February 1858 at Burdett-avenue, and his will was proved by his widow Mary Williams of 16 Burdett-avenue.  Thomas Williams was buried in the family plot in Mount Jerome.
His wife, Mary Williams of Corrig Avenue, Kingstown, died 22nd May 1860 at the home of her son in Killucan (Dublin Medical Press of 30th May 1860) and her will was administered by him.  Mary Williams (1793 - 1860) was buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery.

Children of Thomas and Mary Williams of Sackville Street:
Thomas Williams' son, the doctor John William Williams, can be seen in the Trinity admission records:
   ‘Williams, John William, Pen. (Luxembourg School) Oct. 18 1830, aged  14; son of Thomas, Mercator; born Dublin, BA Vern 1835, MA Vern, MB Aest 1839.’

It’s very interesting to see from the above that John William Williams was educated at the Luxembourg School - this was also known as the Feinaigle Institute, a liberal school which aimed to develop independent thinking in its young pupils, and which was supported by the CDSPCo Williams family  - the sons of Richard Williams of Drumcondra Castle were educated here, and Richard was on the board of directors of the school.

On Griffiths Valuation of 1854, Thomas William’s son,  Dr. John Williams, was leasing a house and land in Killucan;  the Medical Bibliography of 1877 also shows up Dr. Thomas J. De Courcy Williams of Killucan, who was John William William’s son.   Dr. John William Williams of Killucan died on the 31st dOctober 1889, and his will was administered by his children, John Almericus de Courcy Williams of Killucan, Rev. Sterling William S. de Courcy Williams of Rathconnell Rectory, Killucan, and Thomas John de Courcy Williams of Birmingham.

John William Williams married Emily Letitia de Courcy, the daughter of Rev. Michael de Courcey and Emily Smyth, in 1848 in Drumcree, Westmeath.   Her birth on 18th June 1827 was recorded in the Drumcree Church register.  She was sister to Michael William de Courcy born 29th September 1822, Nevison de Coury born 7th October 1835 and Anne Alice de Courcy born 16th April 1826.
The Honorable Emily Laetitia Williams, née de Courcy, wife of John William Williams of Killucan, died 29th February 1912, and her will was administered by her sons, John Almericus de Courcy Williams and Rev. Sterling William Sinclair de Courcy Williams.

The children of John William Williams, MD, and Emily Letitia de Courcy were all born in the parish of Killucan, West Meath, and were christened by Emily Letitia’s father, Rev. Michael De Courcey:
Anne Jane Georgina Sinclair Williams, born October 23rd 1863.  The Belfast Newsletter of 26th October 1865 noted her death, aged 1 year and 11 months, on 21st October 1865 at Killucan, Westmeath.  She was stated to be the eldest child of John William Williams, Fellow Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland.

Son Thomas John De Courcy Williams, born July 19th 1849, was also a surgeon who worked in Birmingham.  He died at Christchurch, Hampshire in 1898.  The Medical Bibliography of 1877 earlier showed up Dr. Thomas J. De Courcy Williams of Killucan.

Emily Anne de Courcy Williams, born September 5th 1850.  She died unmarried in South Dublin in 1940.

John Almericus De Courcy Williams, born July 11th 1855.  He married, at Ryde on the Isle of Wight, in 1892, Frideswide Catherine Emily Smyth, daughter of Robert Ralph Smyth of Portlick Castle, Westmeath.    From Mount Jerome records online:  'J. A. De.C. WILLIAMS M.D. Killucan who died 21st January 1924, aged 68 years Also FRIDESWIDE his wife  who died August 16th 1948 (1856 - 1924).'   At the time of his death in 1924, John A. de Courcy Williams was living at 6 Morehampton Road, Dublin.

Sterling William Sinclair de Courcey Williams, born October 10th 1858.  A Church of Ireland minister, in 1901 he was living  in Durrow, Tullamore, with his sister, Emily Anne De Courcy Williams.  In 1889, he had been Rector of Rathconnell Rectory, Killucan.

Mary Frances Elizabeth de Courcey Williams - this daughter had been born in Westmeath in 1853.

Esther Eleanor Williams (1821 - 1864), daughter of Thomas and Mary Williams of Sackville Street:
On 26th May 1852, Thomas Williams' eldest daughter, Esther Eleanor Williams, married  Michael William de Courcy/Courcey, the son of the Rev. Michael de Courcy of Kilcumney, Westmeath, in St. Mary’s, Dublin. The witnesses were Esther Eleanor’s father, Thomas Williams,  and her brother, John William Williams.  (Limerick and Clare Examiner of 29th May 1853, and Irish Genealogy website.)   Rev. Michael de Courcy of Kilcumney, Westmeath, performed the ceremony.

From the Drumcree Church register, viewable on microfilm at the National Archives in Bishop Street: 'Michael William, born to Michael and Emily de Coursy (sic), on September 29th 1822.'
Michael William de Courcy, born in 1822 to Michael de Courcy and Emily Smyth, succeeded his cousin, John de Courcy as the 32nd Baron Kingsale in 1890.  Michael William De Courcy died in Stoketon, Saltash, Cornwall, in November 1895, and was himself succeeded in the baronetcy by his son Michael Constantine de Courcy who had been born on 8th May 1855. The Kingsale barons held the honour of being the only peers permitted to wear their hats in the presence of royalty.

(Note: Rev. Michael de Courcy of Drumcree married twice, first to Emily Smyth who died on 21st January 1830 at Gleniden, then in Edinburgh on 7th October 1833 to Mary Anne, second daughter of the late Robert Balgrie Esq., of Midgarty, Sutherlandshire. Mary Anne would die on 17th October 1847 in Kilcumney, Westmeath.  Rev. Michael de Courcy died aged 72 in Kilcumney Glebe on 15th May 1860.  The eldest daughter of Rev. Michael de Courcy of Drumcree was Frances Anne de Courcy of The Grange, Marle Hill, Cheltenham, who died aged 90 on 4th December 1911 - her executor was her nephew, the Rt. Hon. Michael Constantine, Baron Kingsale of The Grange. )

The children of Esther Eleanor Williams and William de Courcy were baptised in the parish of Drumcree/Kilcumney, Co. Westmeath.  Two of the births took place at 50 Lower Sackville Street - Saunders Newsletter of 7th March 1853 noted that the lady of Michael William de Courcy had had a stillborn son at 50 Lower Sackville Street, while the Dublin Evening Mail of 3rd March 1854 noted that she had had a daughter there.  A son was also born on 4th November 1857 in Kingstown, Co. Dublin - this was wrongly printed by the papers of the day, since it was daughter Esther Emily Anne Jane de Courcy who was born here.

I  went through the Kilcumney/Killucan Parish Register in the Archives office on Bishop Street.
Constantine de Courcey was born on May 8th 1855 to William de Courcy Esq. and Esther Eleanor of Kilcumney.   This was Michael Constantine de Courcy, later the 33rd Baron Kingsale.

William Nevinson de Courcy was born on August 3rd 1855. (Which doesn't tally with the preceding baby born three months earlier...)

John Sinclair Emile de Courcy was born on November 4th 1857, but the register later records his death -  he was buried on March 26th 1858

Esther Emily Anne Jane de Courcy was born on November 4th 1857.

The online archives of Mount Jerome cemetery confirm that Esther Eleanor, wife of M.W. De Courcy and youngest daughter of Thomas Williams, died aged 43 on 27th December 1864.  Following her death, her husband, Michael William De Courcy, married again, this time in 1874 to Jessie Maud Polwhele, daughter of Rev. E. Polwhele, the rector of Pillaton, Cornwall.


Anne Jane Williams, daughter of Thomas and Mary Williams of Sackville Street:
Another daughter of Thomas Williams, of 50 Lower Sackville Street, was Anne Jane Williams (1816 - 1843). She married, on 7th July 1835, Thomas Berry, the son of Sterling Berry and Dorothy Winslow of Eglish Castle, King's County.
Anne Jane Berry died at Rathgar, and her husband went on to marry Sarah Alicia Seymour.  The children of Thomas Berry and Anne Jane Williams were:

Sterling Thomas Berry, 1837 - 1865, who was in the Mercantile Marine service and who died young in Calcutta.
 Mary Frances Berry (1839 - 1907) who married Rev. Thomas Skipton, son of Pitt Skipton of Derry, in 1888. The wedding in Dublin was witnessed by Mary Frances Berry's first cousin,  Mary Frances Eliza de Courcy Williams, the daughter of John William Williams MD and Emily Laetitia de Courcy,  and by Mary Frances' brother, William Winslow Berry.
 John Berry, born 1841.
 William Winslow Berry, born 1842.  He witnessed his sister's wedding in 1888.  He married Zaldah Suzette Fannan, and the couple emigrated to Australia.


Mary Eliza Williams, possible daughter of Thomas and Mary Williams of Sackville Street:
I have isolated Mary Eliza Williams as a possible daughter of Thomas Williams.  'The Oxford Chronicle' of 12th March 1859 noted the marriage in Monkstown Church, Co. Dublin, on 5th March 1859, of Mary Eliza, second daughter of the late Thomas Williams of Dublin and of Connaught Place, Kingstown, to William Vallancy/Vallancey Drury MD of 3 The Crescent, Camden Villas, London.  Another marriage notice in a second paper of the day named Mary Eliza as the second surviving daughter of the late Thomas Williams.   This makes sense - her sister, Anne Jane Berry, had died in 1843, while her sister, Esther Eleanor de Courcy, wouldn't die until 1864.
William Vallancey Drury MD, later an early homeopathy exponent, and son of an army captain, Charles Chastage John Drury, had married Mary Eliza Williams as his second wife - earlier he had married to Maria Isabella Toomy by whom he had a daughter, Susanna Henrietta Drury, at 9 Lower Merrion Street on 6th April 1846.

Some other John Williams of Dublin:
Our great-great grandfather, Richard Williams, who married Geraldine O'Moore Creighton, at 17 Eden Quay in 1847, was the son of a deceased John Williams.  I have found no definite link between our Richard and any other Williams family, other than circumstantial links to the Williams family of the Dublin Steam Packet Company, and to the business premises of the Welsh merchant, Thomas Williams of 50 Lower Sackville Street.

During my search for other John Williams of Dublin, who had died by 1847 when our great-great grandparents married, I came across two other interesting contenders, but have similarly failed to find any plausible link between them and Richard Williams of 17 Eden Quay.

On 8th October 1845, in Howth Church, Elizabeth Georgina Williams of Baldoyle (near Howth), the only daughter of the late John Williams, a merchant, married the Waterford architect, Abraham Denny, then living at Marino Crescent, Clontarf, son of the Waterford merchant, Henry Denny.  This family were the ancestors of the present-day Denny meat company.  The witnesses to the wedding were architect colleagues of Abraham Denny, William Murray, Henry Murray and John Mallet Williamson.  There was also a member of the Williams family, but the signature on the certificate is so illegible that I got nowhere with it...it seems to be something along the lines of M.G. Williams. Given the name of the bride, 'Elizabeth Georgina', this M.G. could stand for George Williams.   e
One of the many newspaper announcements for this marriage name the Williams family as Willans, but I odered the original marriage registration certificate which clearly names the family as Williams.
Elizabeth Georgina died a few years after this and Abraham remarried.
Elizabeth Georgina's late father was noted as John Williams, formerly of Penrallt, North Wales, and late of this city, ie, Dublin.   Penrallt is in Anglesey, so her father might be the John Williams who was the business partner and possible relation of Thomas Williams of 50 Lower Sackville Street. Or perhaps not!
I know of no relationship between our own Richard Williams of Eden Quay and the Denny family.

Another deceased John Williams was the late John Williams of Dublin whose eldest daughter, Anne Williams, married the Liverpool merchant Thomas Simmons in St. Peter's, Dublin, on 13th May 1841;   the witnesses were Thomas and William Williams.  Thomas Simmons was the son of the Liverpool shipbroker, Gwin Simmons and Mary Lawton or Lawson.   Thomas and Annie Simmons were living at Wavertree, Liverpool, when their daughter, Annie Simmons, was baptised in Holy Trinity Church on 4th October 1842.
Following his father's death in July 1837, Thomas Simmons continued in his father's shipbroking business, operating under the name of Gwin and William Simmons, but he himself died on 13th May 1866 at The Elms, Prince's Park, Liverpool.
On 30th November 1866 at Byculla Church, Bombay, John William Orr married Annie, eldest daughter of Thomas Simmons of Liverpool.
On 12th October 1874 in the Cathedral at Bombay, Charles F. Farran of Middle Temple, barrister-at-law, thhird son of George Farran of Belcamp Park, Co. Dublin, married Ethel Kate, second daughter of the late Thomas Simmons of Liverpool.


A few strays from the papers....
In 1844 at Mumtoor, Bombay, Henry Neville Esq, of the Madras Civil Service, married Sarah Anne, daughter of John Williams of Dublin.
In 1850 at Summerhill, Co. Meath, in the 16th year of her age, the death occurred of Maria, daughter of John Williams of Dublin.